You Gotta Touch the Stove to Learn They Say

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I made duck breasts tonight.

The general method is low heat in a nonstick pan on the stove until they render then flip and stick them in the oven at about 400F.

I was doing too much at one time, and got distracted by a shiny. After putting the breasts aside and tenting with foil to rest them I noticed more fat in the pan. I had already drained the pan before it went in the oven (mmmmmm.... duck fat) and wanted to see if there was enough to worry with.

I grabbed the handle of the pan... &@)*@#(&@_)*&&%@^#^&@(#& that hurt.

Lesson learned: Don't do that.

I had my grill gloves inside because the last time I did this I was using pot holders and it was awkward. Light Bulb! Bring in my heavy grill gloves and don't worry about it. I forgot to put them back on before I grabbed the handle.

Lesson learned: Don't do that.

I think I will be ok.

I remember the first and one of the only few times I cooked on an electric stove. I didn't believe the burner was hot. I put my hand over it and there was no heat. I touched it. Yep, it was hot. I had to drive to the drug store and found this amazing salve called Butesin Picrate. It has an anesthetic component. I keep it on hand all the time now and I'm fortunate that I've mostly learned my lesson.

Now if only I can remember to not climb on the stove....

I did the same thing once years ago and now every handle is treated like it is hot!

Did you have that split second where you know it is hot yet you do not put it down?

I did, very odd!

I hope it heals quickly!

Live and learn.

It's nice to have a few Aloe Vera plants handy. Got my first lesson with a hot wood-fired cook stove when I was four years old. Lucky I was not burnt by my adventures with a coal-fired hot water heater when I was three.
I use fire place or welder's gloves or a folded towel; wife prefers pot holders.

Yup, it sure leaves a burning impression.:neutral: I will never forget my own personal experience!

You've got plenty of company. Just 2 days ago, I turned on the oven for a meatloaf, noticed the foil at the bottom was due to be replaced and promptly tried to lift the heating element to remove the foil. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

No real damage done, but geez!

As the scars on the back of my hands attest, if you cook a lot, you make these idiotic mistakes.

One time I looked at Mom's hand and saw a burn. I immediately knew, by looking at her hand, that she'd burned it because she tried to wipe out her self-cleaning oven before it cooled. And she wonders why we think she can be a little anal?

I also keep a pot holder next to or over part of a pan/pot that I've removed from the oven to keep me safe while dishing out. Too many times, I'd go to remove a serving and put my hand on the hot metal trying to hold it steady.

I've been screwing up a lot lately, forgetting to turn burners off. Scary. I try to remember to double check before I leave the room, but occasionally am in too much of a hurry.

I leave something on the pot as a warning, too, laying an oven mitt on top of the lid or over the handle. It's too easy to grab that tempting handle or lid that's not long out of the braising oven.

Here's my hand:

30377-albums852-picture4505.jpg

Ouch, Frank! Get better soon.

I've done it, too. The worst was when I stupidly grabbed the handle of a CI skillet that had been in the oven. Won't do that again.

Now I have a silicone sleeve that fits on my skillet handles.

As Addie said, "Once burned. Twice shy."

I have never even come close with grabbing a cast iron handle... those are always hot.

My nonstick hardly ever goes in the oven.. so the handle is always cool.

Excuse me while I kick myself for being an idiot... again. :LOL:

I grabbed the handle of the pan... &@)*@#(&@_)*&&%@^#^&@(#& that hurt.

I can pronounce those words. Have used them myself on many occasion. And you spelled every one correctly. ;):rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom