"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 11-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #31
Senior Cook

The last chicken stock I made was from rotisserie chickens. I just threw the bones and skins in a crockpot with some water.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Chicken broth in crock-pot, help

Rotisserie carcasses make excellent stock. I add onion, celery, and carrot to mine, along with dried thyme. The CP works well.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #33
Head Chef

When I make my Chicken flavored liquid

I use whatever bones & scraps I've saved in the freezer.
I don't add anything but water and chicken parts.
I figure I'll spice it up for whatever it's used in when it's used.
I crack the bones because I desire the flavor and gelatin it causes.
Reduce the liquid.
Chill
Remove the fat from the top
Use and/or package for freezing.

I was always taught you don't boil the "flavored liquid"

Something to do with the fat emulsifies with the water and the "flavored liquid" you'll get is less clear.

So I simmer and don't boil.

I think a Crock Pot would be very good for this. Sorry to bring us back on topic.
Never used my crock pot to make "flavored liquid" but perhaps I should give it a try.

Hmmm.... Toss it in the crock and let it go for it.
My only concern is that a crockpot isn't for reduction of liquid and that's sorta the desired result here. But if it cooks long enough it will reduce.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Zagut, I do the same when I make meat flavoured liquid. I make a separate vegi "stock" out of onion skins, carrot peels, etc. and add some of that when I use the meat flavoured liquid.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think I figured out why people talk about "bone broth". A lot of people differentiate stock and broth by use: stock is an ingredient and broth is for sipping or eating with a spoon. (Not my definitions)
Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think I figured out why people talk about "bone broth". A lot of people differentiate stock and broth by use: stock is an ingredient and broth is for sipping or eating with a spoon. (Not my definitions)
I use my "stock" as the "broth" for a soup like chicken noodle soup. I'll add fresh diced carrot and celery along with diced chicken and when the veggies are cooked, then I'll add the noodles and finish with some parsley. Most of the flavor was already there in the "stock".

I use that same "stock" more often when I cook rice, as I think that plain rice is bland and uninteresting. I always cook it in stock, often with a teaspoon of bouillon, plus sautéed onion and/or garlic, or any other goodies I want to add to it. I will often stir in mushrooms browned golden in butter at the end of the rice cooking.

By the way, my stock is not clear like consommé, it's cloudy and I don't really care because it tastes good. I'm the last person in the world to see food as art.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
...By the way, my stock is not clear like consommé, it's cloudy and I don't really care because it tastes good. I'm the last person in the world to see food as art.

+1...
Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #38
Senior Cook

chicken broth in crock pot, help

I use, per 5 litres water, 2 fresh chicken quarters (leg and thigh), and I tie my vegetables and herbs - fresh bay leaf, parsley, thyme - into a bundle (except the onion), I simmer it for three to four hours, lid on, checking frequently. I like a concentrated stock. I season at the end of cooking. You can use the chicken meat in other dishes. I often use it in a chicken and mushroom pie. I find that the less you 'hurry' a stock, the better it gets. You can reduce it down further and freeze in the ice cube tray.

In my experience, using boneless chicken will give you a lighter broth which is equally delicious.

di reston

Tags
broth, carrots, chicken, chicken broth, crock pot, other