Chili Meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
heya legs?

i made chilli last week using veal shoulder chops, and it came out great!
the veal was on sale, about $3.50 per pound, so i bought a whole bunch of packages of regular veal shoulder and round bone veal shoulder chops.

most of them were destined for veal and peppers in tomato sauce, but i used 2 of them, about 1 1/4 pounds each, to make chilli. i pulled the sections of meat apart by their natural seperations in the fat, removed and discarded any silverskin or big chunks of fat, then proceeded to cut it up into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes, including the marrow.

they were browned, and used as the base of the chilli, adding (browned)onions, garlic, peppers, canned beans, freshly ground cumin and black pepper, worcestershire sauce, beer, and about 1/3rd of a bottle of goya salsita smokey ancho chilli sauce.

it was the best chilli that i've ever made.

Why, WHY?!?! Must you tortore me with ideas like this? Now I need to make a note to myself, sometime this summer, to get some Ancho Chiles, and smoke them, along with some Jalapenoes, to make some chili with? Now you've got my mouth watering!!!!

lol allen, this stuff was really good. i can only imagine how much better it will be with homemeade smoked chilis. in that case, i'd probably add a little red wine vinegar along with them to pot.

one of the foodtv's chilli cookoff shows described that the recent years winners all cubed up pieces of meat instead of ground, so i adopted the idea and i must say it makes all the difference, especially in texture. you get to enjoy all of the chilli flavor, and the beans too, but you also get to bite into pieces of meat instead of the ground meat disappearing into the sauce.

I may have to try this, then. The past several years, it seems like my basic chili recipe has been a constantly evolving thing, getting better each time. I may have to try a small batch with some diced meat, just to see what the texture would be like. Who knows, maybe after trying some smoked chile peppers and smoked brisket, I'd have something capable of winning a competition somewhere.

Allen, Once you try the diced meat in place of the ground meat, you'll never go back. The chunky texture really seems to personify chili. I'll bet the old time chuck wagon cooks didn't use ground meat.

You're probably right, the problem will be convincing my family to eat it. They aren't really hip to modifying something that they've made for years a certain way. Especially my MIL, as she's VERY set in her ways, not to mention that she doesn't have any teeth or dentures right now.

Mylegsbig said:
i'ma use sirloin. It's not that expensive. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again as always very helpful.

Chuck is, IMO, more flavorful than sirloin. Perhaps try it next time?

I made another batch of chili using a mix of 1/2 Prime Sirloin and 1/2 Prime Ribeye.

First i prepared the base. I reconstituted 4 ancho chillies, 3 new mexico chillies, and 5 chipotle chillies in about 3 cups of Spring Water. I then threw this whole mix in the blender and pureed it.

i browned up about 1 1/2 pounds of meat, then set it aside.

I then sauteed onions and red bellpepper in sunflower oil until soft.

Then i added in tomato paste and sauteed that.

then i added tomato sauce.

Then i added in my pureed chili water, a cup of Dark beer, 1/4 cup of Coca Cola, freshly ground cumin, 4 diced Red Jalapeno Peppers, some chili powder, some cayenne powder, some paprika,some worchestershire, some Franks Red Hot,cracked pepper, salt

then i added in the 1 1/2 pounds very small cubed meat. Diced the meat very fine.

i simmered this covered for like 2 hours and 30 minutes, then uncovered for a final 30 minutes.

came out fantastic. i may be missin a couple of steps i did but you get the gist of it

Back
Top Bottom