"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

Chili Meat?

Hey guys last time i made my chili recipe i used ground beef. The flavor of the chili was delicious but i want to go on and graduate to the better beef chilis. Only thing is i've never used real steak meat to simmer in a sauce like that. Couple of questions.

Can i use a good Ribeye? Alot of the recipes say cut meat into 1/2 inch cubes, or 1/4 inch cubes, can't recall. What is the best way to cut the meat like this? Does anyone have any illustrations on how to do it?

Also, when this kind of beef simmers and slow cooks, does it get more tender the longer i cook it?

Because i like to simmer my meat sauces / chilis for around 2 hours or more.

Also any other tips on adding this kind of real steak into the chili would be great.

Thansk in advance.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Everymom

Don't waste a ribeye that way. A blade steak will soften up nicely and have a lovely flavour in the sauce. I am assuming you will be using some tomato sauce in there which will tenderize the meat.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Head Chef

You can use a ribeye, but why?

The best part of the ribeye is that it is very tender, and it has a good flavor.

And it is yelling to be cooked with dry heat.

It makes a yummy steak.

But, IMHO, it has no more flavor than the chuck or round.

And those cuts are a lot cheaper.

And you are going to cook the meat to make chili, which means it will be cooked in fluid, and will become tender after cooking.

You do not need the high end cuts.

I agree, prefer chunks of beef in making my own chili, and not the ground stuff. If it says 1/4 or 1/2 inch bits just cut it in pieces about that size.

Enjoy.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Save that steak for the grill. Use some beef stew meat, or get a round steak and cut it yourself into stew meat.

If you really want to try something different, find a BBQ restaurant that will sell you a pound or two of chopped brisket. If you can't get chopped, go with sliced brisket, and cut it up yourself.

Proceed with your chili recipe, but since the brisket is already cooked, don't worry about browning the meat, just saute the veggies, add tomato sauce, beer, beans, seasonings, or whatnot. Then, add the beef, stir, and simmer for awhile.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I use stew meat on mine. A good steak is usually grilled or broiled in our house with a good wine marinade. I also use a whole bottle of beer to tenderize the stew meat with lots of chili powder, spices, poblano peppers, jalapeños, veggies and fresh cooked pinto beans. It's a long process but so worth it!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Master Chef

We like to use cubed venison, good ground chuck, and hot style pork sausage.
I brown off all the meat, drain, set aside, sweat of vegies in same pan, then proceed from there.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Chili, like stews and pot roasts a made to make use of otherwise tough pieces of meat. Good cuts like ribeye aren't meant for stews and chilis.

I use a chuck roast that I cut into 1/2 inch cubes. It's made for long cooking recipes.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
Head Chef

So if i simmer the chili for 2 hours the meat will be more tender than if i simmer it for 30 minutes?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
Master Chef

don't waste your $$$$, i'd get some low-cost chuck or round & make that into chili. & yep, beef gets more tender as it simmers.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Hmmmmmmmm . . . . .light just clicked in my head (first time for everything).

Stew meat has been compared/labelled as similar if not identical to a round steak. Often times it is cheaper to buy the uncut steak then buy the precut stew beef! Duh! And I keep going to buy stew beef! Argh! What was I thinking?!?!?

I'm all for the chunks of beef versus ground beef. Mrs Big Dog makes a chili con carne with ground beef. It's good, but not very exciting. I'm one for having chunks of beef and veggies (onions, peppers, maybe garlic) with beans, and maybe a few types of beans. One of these days I am going to start trying to make my own chili, but I haven't had the time thus far.

Tags
None