"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Shirley, you jest.

That looks amazing! And very German. I may be tempted to add some kraut. My family thinks they don't like kraut but It's my duty as a German to train them otherwise. Wonderful looking dinner.
Well... for our non-drinking members...
And stop calling me Shirley

This time when I made this I was wishing I had some smoked cabbage to add

Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Nice meal.

Tags
oven, recipe, veggies

Dutch Oven Kielbasa & Veggies Here's a nice hearty one-pot meal. It needs very little in the way of seasoning and packs a lot of its flavor from the ingredients. It makes enough for three good size servings. This was made in a 3.5 qt Dutch Oven. Set your DO on the stove over medium heat and give it a couple turns of EVOO. When the oil starts to shimmer add 4-5 strips of chopped bacon. After the bacon starts rendering add 1/2 of a medium rough chopped onion and a little salt. Let that cook, stirring once in a while, while you peel and cube 5-6 medium potatoes and chop 3-4 cloves of garlic. Also, turn the oven on to 375F to heat up. When the bacon and onions have mostly cooked, add the potatoes, some carrots (a lot if you like them, a little if you don't) , the garlic, salt, pepper, a couple more turns of oil and mix everything well. Put a lid on it and put it in the oven about 45-60 minutes, stirring halfway through. [IMG]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/PAcanis/Food/1-1.jpg[/IMG] Nearing the end of the cooking time above, start slicing 2-1lb pkgs of kielbasa, Hillshire farms or similar. I use one regular and one smoked. I like taking a bite of the kielbasa as I'm eating, not knowing which I am getting :smile: It should have cooked down and resemble this [IMG]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/PAcanis/Food/2-1.jpg[/IMG] Lay the sliced kielbasa on top of the cooked veggies and add about 10oz of beer to the DO. I use Budweiser. I don't think a dark or lager beer would flavor it as well. Chicken broth would probably work if you don't have beer. Put the lid back on and put it back in the oven for ten minutes. After ten minutes take the lid off and let the kielbasa get a little color, about 5-10 more minutes. [IMG]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/PAcanis/Food/3-1.jpg[/IMG] That's all there is to it. It does make a little broth, but I didn't feel like having any bread so I left the broth for the next two meals. [IMG]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b575/PAcanis/Food/4-1.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews