"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Cook

Fennel-based soup

I am in the hunt for a good fennel soup
So far I've found recipes for:
Fennel and Carrot soup
Fennel/Chestnut and celery root soup

Any other ideas?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Head Chef

I like fennel, leek, and potato. Nothing fancy about it. Saute the chopped fennel and leek, add peeled diced potatoes and chicken stock. Cook until tender and puree in batches. Season to taste, and serve garnished with fennel tops.

I like garlic, so if it's just for us, I add diced garlic to the end of the saute.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I like fennel and celeriac(celery root) soup. Deff not for every body, but sweat down the fennel, with mirepoix, shallots, and a bay leaf or 2, add in diced celeriac, cover in a mix of heavy cream, and stock( I prefer chicken, but you can certainly use veggie), salt and pepper, simmer until the celery root is fork tender, then puree using an immersion blender/blender/food processor. Finish with a nice knob of butter for that velvety mouth feel.

I finish with it with a little crispy fried pancetta, or, a dallop of crem fraiche.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Also, a free form "lasagna" Pan Seared Scallops, shrimp, and crab, baby spinach, roasted red peppers, roasted fennel, a little fresh sage and rosemary, de-glaze with white wine, finish with cream, s+p, butter and asiago.

Lay out 2 cooked lasagna noodles(or you can use a nice wide rag noodle like a pappardelle) in an x shape in the bottom of a wide bowl, and layer the seafood, fold the noodle, layer in more seafood, and fold, creating a nice "little packet", spoon the rest of the sauce and what not over the last layer/top and that's it.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Sitting here thinking about it, I don't believe I've ever had fennel in soup before. But I love fennel, so it sounds good.

I guess I would consider roasting the fennel in the oven, and then pureeing it with some stock and finishing with a little cream and butter. There is something truly magical about the flavor of roasted fennel that you don't get from other cooking methods.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Executive Chef

A Fennel Cream

Yes, I love fennel too and perhaps with 1 potato to give it that creamy texture verses dairy cream --- and 1 leek ... For garnish; Top it with a pinenut or almond pesto or a few strips of Proscuitto di Parma ...

Thanks for idea and post.

Margi.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Sitting here thinking about it, I don't believe I've ever had fennel in soup before. But I love fennel, so it sounds good.

I guess I would consider roasting the fennel in the oven, and then pureeing it with some stock and finishing with a little cream and butter. There is something truly magical about the flavor of roasted fennel that you don't get from other cooking methods.
The aroma of fresh fennel is amazing ... lovely green goddess of Italia.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I did not know that fennel could go into soup !!!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Fennel Cream Soup

In the Mediterranean, it is quite common to have fennel not only in salads, however, as a main ingredient or in risotto too ... or pasta ...

Stunning and light.

If you see my Parsnip Cream, more or less, do same --- however, ingredient measurements need to be adjusted ...

Margi.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Cook

Here is one I am going to make soon

Squash, Fennel with cider and caramelized apple

Chef Scientist's Experimental Food Blog: Squash & Fennel Soup With Cider & Caramelized Apple

Tags
soup