"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 01-16-2005, 01:22 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Im not going to compete with the other gumbo recipies posted since they look great but I will tell you this: I've had both Zatarains and made it from scratch and there is absolutely no comparison.

Only problem is that every time I make it from scratch it get's out of control. Last time I think I did a 5 liter wok worth of it.
Tell us more.......be specific.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

My first gumbo

I tried making my first Gumbo yesterday. It turned out pretty good, although I am sure it was not in any sense "authentic". I have never even seen a gumbo before, let alone know what it should taste like. I found several recipes on a web-site, and put together my own for my first trial. I wanted to make "Filet Gumbo" but had no idea what gumbo filet was. I now know that it is ground sassafras, and should be sprinkled on at the end. I have also learned that to be "true" gumbo, you have to use bacon grease.

The recipe I came up with was pretty mild in the heat department, so I put a bottle of generic hot pepper sauce, and one of Emiril's Bayou Blast on the table so we could "kick it up another notch", if we wanted. I've made Tom Yum Koong several times recently, but was not up to driving to the fish market and peeling and deveining jumbo shrimp yesterday, so I just used some precooked cocktail type.

Chicken wings - 2 pounds
Cooked Shrimp - 1 pound

Okra (frozen, cut) - 1 pounds
Yellow bell pepper - 1
Red bell pepper - 1
Medium yellow onions - 2
Celery - 2 ribs
Garlic - 1 bunch
Fresh parsley - 1 bunch

Tomatoes with green chile - 10 oz can
Tomato paste - 6 oz can
Chicken broth - 14 oz can
Clam Juice - 8 oz

flour - 1/2 cup
olive oil - 1/2 cup

Red Pepper Flakes - 1 tsp
Bay leaves - 3
Thyme - 1 tsp
Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp
Oregano - 1 tsp
Worcestershire Sauce - 1 tsp

I put all the liquid ingredients and spices into the dutch oven and started heating them at very low heat. I chopped the vegetables to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch pieces. I made the garlic a bit smaller. I used a whole "bunch" of parsley and garlic. That would be about 8-12 cloves. I put them all in the pot at very low heat.

I cut the chicken wings into their three sections. I then cooked them at medium heat until all the pinkness was gone and they were white/yellow. I then put them in the pot.

I cooked the roux of flour and oil in a small sauce pan at medium heat. I stirred constantly until it was the color of dark chocolate milk, then added it to the pot. The gumbo was very thick, but I did not add any water. I let it cook at very low heat for a couple of hours. I added the shrimp, brought the heat up, and let them cook for about 15 minutes.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #13
Head Chef

abirchler16,

I always put okra in my gumbo. I usually get fresh okra, cut it up, and saute it seperately in a little oil for about a half hour, until the slime disappears.

Did you cook the frozen okra along with the fresh vegetables? Did you have a slime problem?

How did you like the gumbo? I LOVE it in the winter!

Lee
Old 12-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Im not going to compete with the other gumbo recipies posted since they look great but I will tell you this: I've had both Zatarains and made it from scratch and there is absolutely no comparison.

Only problem is that every time I make it from scratch it get's out of control. Last time I think I did a 5 liter wok worth of it.
I use Zatarains for a quick meal, but there's nothing like the real thing. And like you, when I make it from scratch, I always make a HUGE amount...I do the same thing with all soups. My husband blames it on my big soup pot...says I seem compelled to fill it up.

I make my roux the same way Mudbug does...that's the way I was taught "down on the bayou". I don't use okra or tomato, but I like it that way too.

And the file' really makes a difference in the taste. HB can take it or leave it, but I really like it. We have sassafras trees on the property...wonder if I could make my own?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Slime

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
abirchler16,

I always put okra in my gumbo. I usually get fresh okra, cut it up, and saute it seperately in a little oil for about a half hour, until the slime disappears.

Did you cook the frozen okra along with the fresh vegetables? Did you have a slime problem?

How did you like the gumbo? I LOVE it in the winter!

Lee
Lee,

Slime was not a problem. I expected it to be, but was pleasantly surprised. I just opened the package and dumped the okra in the dutch oven along with everything else. I did cook it for a long time on a low heat, but do not know if that affected the outcome.

Arleigh
Old 12-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Wow, I was taken back by this post. I started it in January of 2005, and oddly enough, I came on here today to to tell you all I am making gumbo, but I found a Paula Dean version on foodnetwork. It's cooking now. I'm not adding shrimp, or okra, but I will add the tomatoes.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I used the frozen okra, and added it with the other vegetables. No problem with slime. I think the idea is that it cooks in with the stock, giving it the rich texture. I liked the gumbo. I am planning on making a very different dish using black-eyed peas and beef, but using the rest of the ingredients from the gumbo recipe I posted.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

http://http://www.jfolse.com/recipes.../chicken17.htm This is the recipe I use as a guide for when I make my gumbo. I have used pheasant instead of chicken very successfully. I always make my roux, I feel that a level of flavor is achieved when you dump the 'trinity' of vegetables into the ultrahot roux. It slows down the cooking of the roux to keep it from burning and the vegies cook very quickly. It really does not take me that long to make the roux either.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #19
Master Chef

Just remember that okra & file' powder were meant to be thickeners, so you're supposed to use one or the other - not both in the same dish.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #20
Executive Chef

ya use the file when the okra's not in season. Love my greens so the okra's going in even if it has to be frozen, but if I gots the file, just a pinch too you know...just a pinch. Justin Wilson would approve, I gaarruhntees it.

Tags
None