"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help needed making invisible soup!

Hello,

Me and my friends take it in turn hosting a 'Come done with me' style dinner (minus the ratings!), it's my turn next and I want to use magic as the theme of my evening as it's in gloomy January.

I've had a few ideas (magic mushroom and truffle ravioli, an edible candle housing the dessert) and have had an idea for the starter that I'd really love your help with - invisible soup!

I had an incredible tomato consomme at a restaurant called Locavore in Bali and it looked clear but tasted amazing. I'd love a recipe if anyone has one and tips for keeping it as colourless as possible. I was also thinking of adding another 'invisble' element, perhaps a clear jelly (or jello) flavoured with basil that would sit in the consomme? Or I'm open to other ideas?

I'd also welcome ideas for the other courses.

Many thanks in advance,
Bryony

Magicfeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

https://delishably.com/food-industry/blinddinnerathome

People tend to eat with their eyes first, then smell, then taste and texture. It would be difficult to convince any of us in my family to eat all clear foods, unless it was a water diet, which isn't that appealing.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Instead of invisible how about hidden?

Soup disguised as something else.

You could hide it under a dome of toasted phyllo dough
Use some fancy food chemistry to turn it into caviar, etc: https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/p...ul-dishes.html
Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

You can hire a magician for the night.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I certainly wouldn’t call it “invisible soup” but it’s not something you see everyday; Chinese soup in dumplings, rather than having the dumplings in soup. I googled it, and my search came up with quite a few hits. It’s not really difficult to make, but forming the dumplings takes a bit of practice, and it’s a bit time consuming.

If the flavor profile for your dinner doesn’t accommodate Chinese, I’m sure the basic recipe could be adapted to something less Asian. And opening a dumpling to have lovely hot soup pour out of it is rather enchanting, if not actually magical!
Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How about soup dumplings... the soup is on the inside.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Soup dumplings are a huge amount of work. I've made them before and documented it on here somewhere. You have to find the pigs feet and bones, then make the stock and pray it gels. I made the dough for the dumplings the first time, and that takes a lot of time, plus the folding time. I've made quite a few shapes of pot stickers, but those soup dumplings were a MAJOR challenge to fold correctly. With the filling that was left after I spent an hour and a-half folding dumplings for the 2 of us, I used premade wrappers for the rest, which aren't big enough to fold the traditional way, and folded them in crescents. It is definitely not as easy as it looks if you go traditional.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Soup dumplings are a huge amount of work. I've made them before and documented it on here somewhere. You have to find the pigs feet and bones, then make the stock and pray it gels. I made the dough for the dumplings the first time, and that takes a lot of time, plus the folding time. I've made quite a few shapes of pot stickers, but those soup dumplings were a MAJOR challenge to fold correctly. With the filling that was left after I spent an hour and a-half folding dumplings for the 2 of us, I used premade wrappers for the rest, which aren't big enough to fold the traditional way, and folded them in crescents. It is definitely not as easy as it looks if you go traditional.
The recipe I made used gelatin, so the actual soup part wasn’t difficult at all. My success rate with forming the actual dumplings was, I admit, less than 100%. Okay, less than 75%...
Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
The recipe I made used gelatin, so the actual soup part wasn’t difficult at all. My success rate with forming the actual dumplings was, I admit, less than 100%. Okay, less than 75%...
Well, I made the broth the tradional way with.natural gelatin from the pig feet. It worked perfectly, but I sure was glad to get up tge next morning and see a sheet pan full of golden porky goodness gelled perfectly.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:32 AM   #10
Executive Chef

If the OP wants to go the dumpling way, and also to JJ, here is a link to the dumpling challenge from a a couple of years ago.

Tags
other, soup, tomatoes