"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I simmer chicken/turkey bones/parts for 6 hours. Some of the bones are roasted some are not. I add mire poix veggies and other seasonings. With 6 hours of simmering I get a rich stock loaded with collagen. It has the consistency of Jell-O out of the fridge. Any longer is a waste of energy in my opinion.

Beef stock is a different story. Because of the thickness/density of beef bones, they need a lot longer simmering.
I do more or less the same.

One thing to note is that I simmer stock on the lowest setting on the stove. It's barely bubbling at that setting, but I still remember my grandmother telling me (some 40 years ago) that if you simmer it too aggressively, the roiling action will turn it cloudy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and I'm sure it's simply an aesthetic thing, but it's the way I was taught.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I do more or less the same.

One thing to note is that I simmer stock on the lowest setting on the stove. It's barely bubbling at that setting, but I still remember my grandmother telling me (some 40 years ago) that if you simmer it too aggressively, the roiling action will turn it cloudy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and I'm sure it's simply an aesthetic thing, but it's the way I was taught.
That cloudiness is fat emulsified into the stock by rapid boiling. It can make the stock taste greasy. You can remove it by creating a "raft" with egg whites, but I've never done that.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I don't time my stock/broth. It barely simmers on the very back of the wood stove (in the winter...crockpot in the summer) until the meat falls off the bones and has little flavor. Today I did a ham bone and it was about six-seven hours. The strained broth is simmering down to condense now.

We gave the kids an electric pressure cooker for Christmas and DD just sent me a video of her clear, gelatinous jiggly "bone broth". I may have to resurrect my old Mirro 6qt. in the spring. If I can still find gaskets and plugs.

Not sure what the difference is between her bone broth and the stock-made-from-scraps that I've made forever.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Head Chef

What's the opinion on vegetable stock? I would assume it would require less time than a meat / bone stock.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
What's the opinion on vegetable stock? I would assume it would require less time than a meat / bone stock.

I believe you can get a flavorful vegetable broth in about 30 minutes.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbrat View Post
Not sure what the difference is between her bone broth and the stock-made-from-scraps that I've made forever.
I believe the only difference is that bone broth doesn't have vegetables, so they can call it paleo
Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I've been making a lot of stocks/broths. I don't always make soup. I use it like someone would have a glass of water during the day. I also use it for soups, stews, and general cooking. Sometimes it's just using cut up chicken parts and other times it the carcass and left over chicken/turkey from roasting.

How long do you guys usually simmer your stock for? I tend to not have the patients to do it for much longer then 12 hours tops. I have on occasion done 24 hours.

I have read many references to it being better for you the longer it simmers. Especially when bones are involved. Does anyone else spend a lot of time simmering there stock/broth on the stove?

Just curious to what other people do.
I've never simmered stock for that long. Mostly an hour or two at the most for meat and a lot less for fish stock. I find that if you cook stock including bones for too long it begins to taste a bit glue-y.

Veg stock doesn't need anywhere near that amount of time.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Day and a half to two days in a crock pot on low. Often I roast the bones first. Best stock ever!

Tags
cook, other, stock