"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles
Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #31
Master Chef
The soup in Kazakhstan is to die for and the secret in addition to what's already been suggested is the wonderful broth. Wherever you go you can find wonderful beef bones and chicken carcasses for sale to make these broths----not so in the US-----but it really makes the job easier to have the bones on hand and then start from scratch.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #32
Senior Cook
I agree with all those that say the broth is the most important part. Broth made from fresh chicken stock is simply the best way to go. If you have bones to make stock with, try roasting them first for a really great flavor.

After that, the vegetable base is the next most important, mirepoix being the classic choice.

After that, pick your herbs and spices. The classics include parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (the song is not a coincidence), but another good combo is garlic and tarragon.

Finally, pick which veggies you like.

But to be perfectly honest, what goes in my soup is usually based on whatever I have on hand and am trying to use up.

ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #33
Senior Cook
i've been told by many folks that my chicken soup is the best they've ever had, and now, i'll give you my top 3 secrets to making a GREAT chicken soup:

1. time. not thyme... but TIME, as in tick-tock of the clock. i usually run my stock for about 6 hours: 2 hours with the chicken parts/pieces, and 3-4 hours to reduce the stock and concentrate it down. i start with 6 qts of water and simmer it down to just about 4 qts. i cook the noodles in a separate pot and save the pasta water to add to the stock if needed.

2. keep the ingredients simple. my list includes: potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, one can of diced tomatoes. when the stock is set where you like it, MASH all of these veggies in the stock to enrich it even more. the star of the show is chicken-not exotic vegetables, etc.

3. i put a mixture of ancho & chipotle chili powder as one of my seasonings... not too much, but just a hint of it to make folks say, "what is that spice... i can't quite call it?" it's not even a full tablespoon in 4-5 qts of soup.

out of all of these, i'd have to say the most important is TIME... and there's no substitute for it. my cousin works in a 5-star restaurant in new orleans, and he says all of their stocks, which are used for both soups and sauces, are normally cooked overnight in HUUUUUUUGE pots.

there is no such thing as a great soup without starting with a great stock. and there is no great stock that was created without TIME.

chicken stock cooking on the stove = best air freshner for your home.
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #34
Master Chef
Agree totally, Black Chef!!!! I think that's why the soups here in Kazakhstan are so delicious-----they start with the bones of chicken and beef which are easy to buy here in the local groceries and not available in the states--makes all the difference in the world--I remember asking my butcher in Texas for oxtail bones and the incredulous look that I got--ok I know--stupid me
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #35
Assistant Cook
you can add pepper to make the chicken soup more tasty and delicious..

also you can add cashew(nut) paste finally after preparing the soup, will give rich taste while having.

i hope you will really enjoy chicken soup with cashew nut paste..
AinsleyKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #36
Executive Chef
Cashew paste? That might be interesting. I may have to try that.

Lately, I've found myself buy raw leg-and-thigh quarters for all my chicken needs. When I make chicken soup, I poach the quarters for 25 - 30 minutes, or until done. Those get cooled. The "broth" gets reduced down some. When the chicken is cool, I pick the pieces apart. Meat gets rough-diced and place in a bowl, along with the gelatin that congeals with the meat. Skin gets julienned, and placed in a bowl. Bones and cartiliage are bagged and frozen for my next batch of chicken stock. When I go to start the soup, I render the fat from the skin. Then I add the veggies, and proceed as I normally do. I will add some of my homemade, concentrated, frozen chicken stock to the broth that I made by poaching the chicken. Some of the broth gets used to cook the rice, so that the rice has a chicken flavor all to it's own. PeppA, my other half, refuses to let me make chicken noodle (she hates those frozen BIG egg noodles that I love). I always season my chicken soup with thyme, rosemary, sage, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote