ISO advice/help making gumbo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goso

Assistant Cook
made my first gumbo this weekend, when I made the roux it went well until I added the veggies (celery, onion, pepper) at which time it all gunked up. I went ahead w/ it & it came out ok but I'd have liked to be able to cook the veggies a little before I added the broth. any ideas what I did wrong.

thanks

Not sure what you mean by "all gunked up". What was wrong with the finished product that made it just OK?

I'm not sure either.. When you put anything into a thick roux like one for gumbo it always looks yucky (IMO). So as Andy said why was the end result just ok.. :ermm:

I saute my veg and make my roux in separate pans and don't combine until I'm ready to start adding the broth.

I added the veggies expecting to be able to saute them, instead everything clumped up & I went ahead & added the liquid. Two things I'll do differently next time, cook the roux a little longer & saute the veggies seperately.

thanks again.

It has to do with your flour to fat ratio...I personally don't like a thin (lots of fat) roux. I prefer one that is heavy on flour if anything. It sounds like your roux was just about right...not to thin. So when you put the veggies in ...they clumped up....Given a little time the veggies would have released moisture and the roux would have thinned out a little....Increasing the oil (or less flour) will make a thinner roux...less clumping....also more fat in the Gumbo. ... After roux cools, often times some fat will rise to the surface and you can pour it off...HTH....Gotta run!!!!

Back
Top Bottom