ISO Authentic Hungarian Goulash Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluesman

Assistant Cook
Hi. I'm new to the forum and am looking for an authentic Hungarian Goulash recipe. Would anyone like to share their recipe or direct me to one. Thanks.

There is as many rercipes for Goulash as there are Hungarians.
Here is my take on the subject. Use Chuck roast and dice into 1/2 chunks and brown in a dutch oven when nicely browned add some julianne onions, Tomato puree
Caraway seed and Hungarian Paprika, some beef stock and let cook in the oven 2-3 hrs to make sure it is tender then check seasonings add S&P to taste and serve with spatzle. It should be very tender and have a nice caraway taste. this is one of my favorite recipes. Dave

There is as many rercipes for Goulash as there are Hungarians.
Here is my take on the subject. Use Chuck roast and dice into 1/2 chunks and brown in a dutch oven when nicely browned add some julianne onions, Tomato puree
Caraway seed and Hungarian Paprika, some beef stock and let cook in the oven 2-3 hrs to make sure it is tender then check seasonings add S&P to taste and serve with spatzle. It should be very tender and have a nice caraway taste. this is one of my favorite recipes. Dave

Dave - that sounds awesome. I haven't made any kind of goulash in years. Might have to try it again soon!

Thanks for the great replies. I am definitely finding out that there are soooo many variations of this great dish. This forum is great!

Yes, there are as many recipes for goulash as there are tomato sauce recipes. I don't even think I made it the same twice.

Two things I ALWAYS do are: Slightly toast the caraway seeds first, and only use Szeged Paprika.

This is one of those times where I use a stock pot on the stove to start the dish, browning the meat, etc. Once all the ingredients have been added I transfer it to my slow cooker to cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat is the texture I want.

31WM6VXV35L._SL500_AA255_.jpg

Okay, while I fully admit this isn't really "authentic", it is my very favorite goulash concoction, & one I developed specifically for my non-red-meat-eating husband.:chef:

BREEZY CHICKEN HUNGARIAN GOULASH

1 pkge. (approx. 1 pound or so) boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
Extra-virgin oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
Hot Hungarian paprika (or a combination of cayenne or freshly ground black pepper, plus sweet Hungarian paprika)
1 8-oz. can sauerkraut, undrained
1 8-oz. container sour cream
Cooked buttered egg noodles for serving

Coat bottom of large coverable skillet with olive oil. Brown chicken pieces lightly for a few minutes. Add onions, garlic, & celery & sauté until vegetables just begin to soften, being careful not to let garlic brown/burn. Add wine, broth, tomatoes, & bay leaves. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes or so, until chicken pieces are just cooked thru. Remove cover & continue simmering until liquid has reduced to a stew-like consistency (or to consistency of your taste). Remove bay leaves & stir in sauerkraut, heating thru. Add hot paprika (or black pepper) to taste. Turn off heat & stir in sour cream. Serve over cooked buttered egg noodles.

Yes, there are as many recipes for goulash as there are tomato sauce recipes. I don't even think I made it the same twice.

Two things I ALWAYS do are: Slightly toast the caraway seeds first, and only use Szeged Paprika.

This is one of those times where I use a stock pot on the stove to start the dish, browning the meat, etc. Once all the ingredients have been added I transfer it to my slow cooker to cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat is the texture I want.

31WM6VXV35L._SL500_AA255_.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Is it the paprika that is the key flavor ingredient in this dish? Obviously, using fresh ingredients and a sound cooking process are required to make this a good dish.

Okay, while I fully admit this isn't really "authentic", it is my very favorite goulash concoction, & one I developed specifically for my non-red-meat-eating husband.:chef:

BREEZY CHICKEN HUNGARIAN GOULASH

1 pkge. (approx. 1 pound or so) boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
Extra-virgin oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
Hot Hungarian paprika (or a combination of cayenne or freshly ground black pepper, plus sweet Hungarian paprika)
1 8-oz. can sauerkraut, undrained
1 8-oz. container sour cream
Cooked buttered egg noodles for serving

Coat bottom of large coverable skillet with olive oil. Brown chicken pieces lightly for a few minutes. Add onions, garlic, & celery & sauté until vegetables just begin to soften, being careful not to let garlic brown/burn. Add wine, broth, tomatoes, & bay leaves. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes or so, until chicken pieces are just cooked thru. Remove cover & continue simmering until liquid has reduced to a stew-like consistency (or to consistency of your taste). Remove bay leaves & stir in sauerkraut, heating thru. Add hot paprika (or black pepper) to taste. Turn off heat & stir in sour cream. Serve over cooked buttered egg noodles.

Thanks. Looks very tasty!

Thanks for the tip. Is it the paprika that is the key flavor ingredient in this dish? Obviously, using fresh ingredients and a sound cooking process are required to make this a good dish.

The paprika AND the caraway is what gives it that distinct flavor. Otherwise, it's tomato sauce(kinda).....you could swap out the spices and add chili powder for chili.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom