ISO help making boiled dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
does anyone have a receipe for boiled dinner? or do you just through the stuff in a pot and cook it? I want to make it today but not sure how.

I would just put it all in a pot, and cover with some water and chicken stock. Bring to a low boil, and cook very slowly for up to a couple of hours. Can also use a crock pot, if you have one. Cook on low for 3-4 hours. I think I'd leave the cabbage out until the last half hour on the stove, last hour in the crock pot.

Mikki - if you boil a ham & all those vegetables for 3-4 hours, I don't know about the ham (there are several different types - not all of them suited to "boiling"), but one thing I can definitely tell you is that those vegetables are going to disintegrate into total mush.

When I make a traditional "New England Boiled Dinner" using a corned beef, the beef is placed in a pot & covered by several inches with water, water is brought to a boil & then reduced to a simmer, & the meat is simmered for 3-4 hours depending on its size. The vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips) aren't added until close to the end depending on how long each one takes to cook properly. That means potatoes & turnips go in around the last 20 minutes (depending on size), carrots next at 15 (again depending on size), & cabbage - in string-tied wedges - the final 10. (Although I really dislike boiled cabbage, so these days I prefer to thickly shred it & braise it in butter in a separate covered skillet.)

thanks lynda and breezy- husband cooked it said it turned out good,added veggies at different intervals i don't eat the stuff but i guess it worked.

Back
Top Bottom