ISO tips/recipe for oxtail soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) Finally got a hold of some oxtails never could get them out here. So I want to make oxtail soup. Anybody have a good recipe or advice? I cant wait to make it.

Yum, jp. We love oxtail soup. Here's the recipe we love in our house:

KATIE’S FAVORITE OXTAIL SOUP
(Serves 4)​
2 lbs. oxtails, cut into 1½-in. pieces
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (10½-oz.) can condensed beef broth or equivalent quantity of homemade broth
½ cup water
½ cup dry red wine
1 tsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme, bruised
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienned strips
4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into julienned strips
½ cup frozen peas

Trim visible fat from oxtails and dust with flour. In a soup pot or Dutch oven, brown oxtails in hot oil. Add onion, tomatoes with juice, beef broth, water, wine, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is just tender. Skim off excess fat. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add peas; cook about 5 minutes or until peas are heated through. Serve immediately.

Guess we were posting together, kitchenelf.

Last edited:
:) Thanks to both of you I will make it tommorrow can't wait. I had had it a couple of times as a kid in Germany but don't remember the taste. I hear it it's rich and flavorful.

:)OOPs! Just noticed recipe includes parsnips don't have any and can't get them where I live anyway. Any decent substitute? Cant get turnips either.

jpm - if you ever get your hands on parsnips buy them and plan on making this soup. Parsnips will impart a flavor that just won't be there otherwise...BUT, without them it will still be wonderful!!!! This is probably a silly question since you can't get either parsnips or turnips - BUT, can you get celeriac? That may work as a "substitute" but NOTHING will compare to a parsnip.

Local fare here is Chicken Booyah, which strangely enough includes oxtails! It is fabulous, but chicken based. Katie, your soup sounds amazing. I can get parsnips and oxtails here, so I think it'll go on the grocery list. Thanks!

jpm - if you ever get your hands on parsnips buy them and plan on making this soup. Parsnips will impart a flavor that just won't be there otherwise...BUT, without them it will still be wonderful!!!! This is probably a silly question since you can't get either parsnips or turnips - BUT, can you get celeriac? That may work as a "substitute" but NOTHING will compare to a parsnip.

Yes, kitchenelf, the parsnips definitely add another dimension of flavor. Kind of peppery. The parsnip texture is also a great part of the soup.

And, yes, this is a wonderfully rich, delightful soup. Definitely a great use of oxtails.

:) Nope no celeriac here either. I started soup today I browned tails well and they have been simmering with the other vegetables etc a few hours, Will chill to get the fat off of course my little brain is thinking beef bone marrow dumplings would be devine in this soup or egg noodles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom