"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
It is a commonly held belief among many historians that Jambalaya, the dish, had it’s origin in and from the Spanish dish Paella. Its Spanish origin has nothing to do with the etymology of its name.

The origin of the name Jambalaya itself is shrouded in some mystery. Two of the three syllables are French in origin, namely jambon (ham) and a la (in the style of) with the third thought to be African in origin, ya (rice). Jambalaya is a New World creation connected to the Old World through the Spanish dish paella, with its name basically being French in origin. Any idea of African influence into the dish’s creation would be conjecture and speculation.
This entire nation was created on conjecture and speculation! Cheers to our forefathers! But on the issue of jambalaya, I'll cede most of the point to you.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Interesting facts here, thanks for the lessons Bob and Vera.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #23
Head Chef

Does anyone use/ make their own File powder ?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #24
Master Chef

Louisiana has a very unique history (exploration, occupation, settlement) - and it's history is reflected in it's food.

Rustic country cooking is usually attributed to the Acadian French who migrated down from Canada to Louisiana - the Cajuns. The most prevalent "city" style of cooking in New Orleans is Creole - a blend of European French, Spanish, African - with some Cajun and Native American influences (guess there is a minor touch of British, too) ... to one degree or another. I don't think many Creole dishes can be linked to just one source/origin.

Now, before someone jumps on me for saying Cajun cooking is rustinc country cooking ... I never said it was unsophisticated. Look at Chef Paul Prudhomme's family's cookbook. The ingredients may be simple - properly executing the dish can be somewhat of a challenge.

I will agree that jambalaya is a dish where the rice is cooked in it, although I have eaten in a couple of places where it was cooked and served separately (served on top of the rice) - one place was in Jacksonville, FL and I think the other was Houston, TX. Gumbo can range from a soup to a stew ... usually served over rice .. but I have had it served as a soup without rice or with the rice as a side dish.

We could have a similar debate over the origin and authentic ingredients in Brunswick Stew.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Does anyone use/ make their own File powder ?

I've made it before Larry...A year or so ago. It was good, but to much sugar for a dime! The stuff is so cheap to buy....I just buy it!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I have eaten in a couple of places where it was cooked and served separately (served on top of the rice)
This reminds me of the "peach cobbler" I ate once in SW Mississippi...Canned peaches served over a baked canned biscuit with a scoop of ice cream Peach Cobbler??? That's what the menu said!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
This reminds me of the "peach cobbler" I ate once in SW Mississippi...Canned peaches served over a baked canned biscuit with a scoop of ice cream Peach Cobbler??? That's what the menu said!!
That's SAD!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to frozen drink Send a message via Yahoo to frozen drink
Most of the peoples always confused by the different of Jambalaya and Gumbo.

Well, it is easy to differential them...

The Gumbo has a very obvious ingredient where the Jambalaya doesn't have and it is named "filé" which it's powdered sassafrass leaves.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Many gumbos contain no file powder.

One is a thick soup or a stew, while the other is a rice and meat/poultry/fish dish.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
Senior Cook

i've got a contest-winning gumbo recipe that i'd love to share with you folks.

unfortunately, it's too hot down here to even THINK about cooking a pot of gumbo.

*runs off to find the recipe...

Tags
None