Jambalaya and Gumbo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a commonly held belief among many historians that Jambalaya, the dish, had it’s origin in and from the Spanish dish Paella. Its Spanish origin has nothing to do with the etymology of its name.

The origin of the name Jambalaya itself is shrouded in some mystery. Two of the three syllables are French in origin, namely jambon (ham) and a la (in the style of) with the third thought to be African in origin, ya (rice). Jambalaya is a New World creation connected to the Old World through the Spanish dish paella, with its name basically being French in origin. Any idea of African influence into the dish’s creation would be conjecture and speculation.

This entire nation was created on conjecture and speculation! Cheers to our forefathers! But on the issue of jambalaya, I'll cede most of the point to you.;)

Louisiana has a very unique history (exploration, occupation, settlement) - and it's history is reflected in it's food.

Rustic country cooking is usually attributed to the Acadian French who migrated down from Canada to Louisiana - the Cajuns. The most prevalent "city" style of cooking in New Orleans is Creole - a blend of European French, Spanish, African - with some Cajun and Native American influences (guess there is a minor touch of British, too) ... to one degree or another. I don't think many Creole dishes can be linked to just one source/origin.

Now, before someone jumps on me for saying Cajun cooking is rustinc country cooking ... I never said it was unsophisticated. Look at Chef Paul Prudhomme's family's cookbook. The ingredients may be simple - properly executing the dish can be somewhat of a challenge.

I will agree that jambalaya is a dish where the rice is cooked in it, although I have eaten in a couple of places where it was cooked and served separately (served on top of the rice) - one place was in Jacksonville, FL and I think the other was Houston, TX. Gumbo can range from a soup to a stew ... usually served over rice .. but I have had it served as a soup without rice or with the rice as a side dish.

We could have a similar debate over the origin and authentic ingredients in Brunswick Stew. :LOL:

Michael in FtW said:
I have eaten in a couple of places where it was cooked and served separately (served on top of the rice)

:LOL: This reminds me of the "peach cobbler" I ate once in SW Mississippi...Canned peaches served over a baked canned biscuit with a scoop of ice cream:ermm: Peach Cobbler??? That's what the menu said!!:rolleyes:

Most of the peoples always confused by the different of Jambalaya and Gumbo.

Well, it is easy to differential them...

The Gumbo has a very obvious ingredient where the Jambalaya doesn't have and it is named "filé" which it's powdered sassafrass leaves.

Many gumbos contain no file powder.

One is a thick soup or a stew, while the other is a rice and meat/poultry/fish dish.

i've got a contest-winning gumbo recipe that i'd love to share with you folks.

unfortunately, it's too hot down here to even THINK about cooking a pot of gumbo.

*runs off to find the recipe...

This is really funny - I've eaten gumbos and jambalayas and etoufees all my life (well, since I started eating solid food when we lived in New Orleans - along with boiled shrimp, crab and crawfish) and made them for 35 years or so - but never really thought about the differences. I just knew what they were - never tried to different what they were in terms.

I totally agree with Andy M. - filé is not a mandatory ingredient for gumbo.

The difference is that Jambalaya is a rice dish - probably a Creole adaptation of paella using locally available ingredients. Read Chef John Folse's comments here. Supports most of what VeraBlue and Uncle Bob said about it's origin.

Gumbo - a thick savory soup or stew - usually starting with a roux (Jambalaya doesn't) for both thickening and flavor (the darker the roux the more flavor). I have run across a couple of recipes where the roux is added at the end .... but every gumbo recipe I have seen includes a roux somewhere. Reminds me of Justin Wilson's mantra ... "First you make a roux."

Now, I like Chef Paul, and I love eating at K-Paul's - but I hate that you have to buy his "magic" this or that seasoning to make anything following the recipes on his website. Maybe that is why I like his "Prudhomme Family Cookbook" the best?

Here are some recipe options from Chef John D. Folse - another Cajun chef. Click on "soups" for gumbo recipes, click on "meats" for jambalaya recipes. Click on anything for delicious ideas. And, you don't have to buy any propritery spice blends to make them. And, they are more like what Uncle Glenn and Aunt Margaret used to make ... and Uncle Glenn is a back woods card carrying Coon-A ....

Laisez les bons temps rouler!

Last edited:
...Now, I like Chef Paul, and I love eating at K-Paul's - but I hate that you have to buy his "magic" this or that seasoning to make anything following the recipes on his website. Maybe that is why I like his "Prudhomme Family Cookbook" the best?...

I found a 1980s version of his Louisiana Kitchen cookbook at a flea market and his recipes list the individual spices. I prefer to mix my own as well.

Back
Top Bottom