Jambalaya and Gumbo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pot clanger

Senior Cook
Tried following a few threads, but can't find what I'm looking for... I would love a jambalaya recipe.... but now I'm wondering about gumbo.... would appreciate any suggestions and commentary on your experiences with both!

TANX! ***clang-clang-clang***:chef:

This is kinda a melding of the two; quite tasty!

Sassy Creole Fish Seafood Stew

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 slices pepperoni (very optional!)
1 cup onions, chopped
4 garlic clove, minced
1 carrots, julienned
3 celery ribs, chopped
2-3 small zucchini, chopped
1 bag frozen okra
1/2 green pepper, choppped
2 bay leaf
1/8 tsp basil
pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 cup tomatoes, diced (if canned, reduce water accordingly)
1 cup tomato juice
2 cups vegetable stock or water (chicken stock? fish stock?)
5 dash Tabasco sauce
salt
black pepper
2 lemons, juice of
1/2 lbs tilapia fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 lbs shrimp
1/4 lbs kielbasa sausage, cut into same size as fish (optional)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 lemons, cut into wedges

1. Saute the pepperoni, onions, celery and garlic until the onions are translucent.
Remove pepperoni and enjoy.
2. Add zucchini and green pepper; saute about 5 minutes.
4. Add kielbasa, bay leaf, thyme, tomatoes, tomato juice, and stock or water.
Simmer about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
5. Add hot pepper sauce, basil, nutmeg, salt and black pepper.
6. Stir in the lemon juice and fish. Simmer about 5 minutes
until the fish is just cooked and flakes easily with a fork.
7. ladle into bowls and top with fresh parsley.
Serve with lemon wedges and more hot sauce.
Serve over rice.

Grilling Fool: HA! "remove pepperoni and enjoy..."

Andy M: Thanks - I guess I'll do more research about baking the gumbo? I read in another thread that jambalaya is supposed to be cooked WITH the rice, not served OVER rice, as I had originally thought...

I might try mixing the two recipes... Thanks, both of you!

..Andy M: Thanks - I guess I'll do more research about baking the gumbo? I read in another thread that jambalaya is supposed to be cooked WITH the rice, not served OVER rice, as I had originally thought...

I might try mixing the two recipes... Thanks, both of you!

Try the Prudhomme recipe for chiocken and tasso jambalaya. It's really good. I serve it with creole sauce to top the jambalaya.

First off, I'm hungry, so everything sounds so good... kind of a problem right now!

I would like to add the shrimp & tilapia to the Chef Paul recipe, but am not sure about baking the seafood for 40 minutes (overcooking) - any ideas on that? Maybe cooking separately with spices and adding at the end?

First off, I'm hungry, so everything sounds so good... kind of a problem right now!

I would like to add the shrimp & tilapia to the Chef Paul recipe, but am not sure about baking the seafood for 40 minutes (overcooking) - any ideas on that? Maybe cooking separately with spices and adding at the end?

after baking for 40 minutes, your shrimp would be rubber, and the tilapia would be mush. :ohmy:

pot clanger said:
jambalaya is supposed to be cooked WITH the rice, not served OVER rice, as I had originally thought...

Jambalaya IS rice cooked in a pot along with a various meats, poultry, shellfish, and vegetables including onions, peppers, somtimes tomatoes along with various spices etc.

OK - It's been a while, but this sounds very similar to Paiella (sp).

Are they similar dishes, or has memory failed me.

AC

And what differentiates this from Gumbo? I think I know, but, while being dumb, do the whole magilla.

Last edited:
My memory has been officially jogged... gumbo = soupy, jambalaya = rice.

I fooled around with the 2 recipes suggested (thanks, Andy M & grilling fool!).

Used andouille sausage as well as polska kielbasa, doubled (or there-abouts) the celery/onion/garlic, added more rice (kept broth amount the same), more spices & Tabasco! omitted the fish but went for shrimp (sauteed with garlic and added at the end), cooked for the 40 minutes suggested but stirred it up as to get more "crunchy" rice bits and put back in oven for another 20 (there was a bit of liquid/broth left).... yum! All went well - thanks again!

Gumbo is more soup/stew like, depending on which type of recipe you use or who you are talking to. Gumbo is like meatballs...everyone has their own recipe and some will fight you over it.

Jambalaya which translates to ham/rice, is a drier dish of sauteed vegetables with ham, spicy sausage and chicken. Other ingredients could be added like duck, for instance.

Read 'Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table' by Sara Rohan if you want to get a magnificent tutorial regarding all the specialities of New Orleans.

It is common belief that jambalaya had it's origins from the Spanish dish Paella.

Think of gumbo as a type of soup...be it thick or thin

Jambalaya literally translates from an african language and french to mean ham (jambon) and rice (yaya). I lean more in the direction of slaves creating jamblalaya.

Last edited:
Read the article....it leans towards the spanish paella theory. I've always read more theories leaning towards slaves from africa.
Like any gumbo or jambalaya, it's origins are mixed and muddled.

It is a commonly held belief among many historians that Jambalaya, the dish, had it’s origin in and from the Spanish dish Paella. Its Spanish origin has nothing to do with the etymology of its name.

The origin of the name Jambalaya itself is shrouded in some mystery. Two of the three syllables are French in origin, namely jambon (ham) and a la (in the style of) with the third thought to be African in origin, ya (rice). Jambalaya is a New World creation connected to the Old World through the Spanish dish paella, with its name basically being French in origin. Any idea of African influence into the dish’s creation would be conjecture and speculation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom