"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lentil Soup

This gorgeous soup can be traced all the way back to the Old Testament. In Genesis 25:29-34 you can read how Jacob’s brother, Esau, sold his birthright as oldest son to his younger brother, merely for a bowl of Lentil Soup! So yes, this soup is truly delicious and comforting. Whether you should sell your birthright for it? Well, I will let you decide on that.

My mom and I love to make this soup with brown lentils, as they are stronger flavored and hold their shape after being cooked. You can blend the soup after it’s done, but for us it’s all about the texture. We use beef stock but feel free to use vegetarian or chicken stock instead. Extra yummy, if you serve the soup with homemade croutons and some fried curry onion rings as garnish.

Ingredients

For the soup:

2 tbsp. of olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 sticks of celery, finely chopped

1 large carrot, finely diced

1 leek, white part only, cleaned and finely chopped

350g (1½ cup) brown lentils, washed and drained

2L Beef/Chicken/Vegetable stock

1 lime

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. salt

¼ tsp. black pepper

For garnish:

1 tbsp. of olive oil

2 onions, sliced in rings

½ tsp. mild curry powder

6 slices of old bread

olive oil to drizzle over the croutons

garlic/garlic salt

Preparation

For the soup heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the finely chopped onions and gently fry without coloring for 10 minutes or until softened.

Then add the carrot, celery and leek, again gently fry without coloring. Add the lentils, mix all ingredients gently and pour in your stock. Bring to boil and once boiling reduce the heat, simmer covered for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

When lentils are soft, stir in the cumin, lime, salt and pepper.

While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. or 350 degrees F. Slice each bread slice into cubes and sprinkle with olive oil and if you like, garlic or garlic salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until cubes are dried. Keep an eye on them while bake to make sure they don’t burn.

When you are about to serve the soup, fry the onions in olive oil and season with curry powder. Pour the ready soup into the serving dish, add the fried onions, croutons and enjoy!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

there's hardly any more gratifying a comfort food than a good hearty soup. lentil soup is one of my favorite winter soups--complex and satisfying. your recipe sounds awesome, ils!! with its extra touches of curried fried onions and lime, it sounds even better than my own lentil soup, which i enjoy very much every time i make it. i look forward to trying you and your mother's lentil soup next time. thank you for sharing it....:)

Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the reminder. I have some leftover pea soup in the fridge. That takes care of what I am going to eat for supper.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I love lentil soup. Thanks for another recipe to add to my repertory.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I love lentil soup. Thanks for another recipe to add to my repertory.
You're very welcome !
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Master Chef

My Buddy Diogenes said, “If you could learn to live on lentils, you would not have to flatter the king.”
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
there's hardly any more gratifying a comfort food than a good hearty soup. lentil soup is one of my favorite winter soups--complex and satisfying. your recipe sounds awesome, ils!! with its extra touches of curried fried onions and lime, it sounds even better than my own lentil soup, which i enjoy very much every time i make it. i look forward to trying you and your mother's lentil soup next time. thank you for sharing it....:)
Thanks for your comments. Please share once you have tried out the soup. I'm curious whether it truly is better than your recipe. If you would like to share your favorite lentil soup recipe please, feel free to do so.

All the best,
Claire
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My Buddy Diogenes said, “If you could learn to live on lentils, you would not have to flatter the king.”
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks for the great -looking recipe, right up my alley. I will make it soon, and report. I too prefer chewy lentils, so will use the brown ones.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Or more fully:

"Aristippus passed Diogenes as he was washing lentils.

He said, “If you could but learn to flatter the king, you would not have to live on lentils.”

Diogenes said, “And if you could learn to live on lentils, you would not have to flatter the king.”

Tags
recipe, soup

Lentil Soup This gorgeous soup can be traced all the way back to the Old Testament. In Genesis 25:29-34 you can read how Jacob’s brother, Esau, sold his birthright as oldest son to his younger brother, merely for a bowl of Lentil Soup! So yes, this soup is truly delicious and comforting. Whether you should sell your birthright for it? Well, I will let you decide on that. My mom and I love to make this soup with brown lentils, as they are stronger flavored and hold their shape after being cooked. You can blend the soup after it’s done, but for us it’s all about the texture. We use beef stock but feel free to use vegetarian or chicken stock instead. Extra yummy, if you serve the soup with homemade croutons and some fried curry onion rings as garnish. Ingredients For the soup: 2 tbsp. of olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped 1 large carrot, finely diced 1 leek, white part only, cleaned and finely chopped 350g (1½ cup) brown lentils, washed and drained 2L Beef/Chicken/Vegetable stock 1 lime 1 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. salt ¼ tsp. black pepper For garnish: 1 tbsp. of olive oil 2 onions, sliced in rings ½ tsp. mild curry powder 6 slices of old bread olive oil to drizzle over the croutons garlic/garlic salt Preparation For the soup heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the finely chopped onions and gently fry without coloring for 10 minutes or until softened. Then add the carrot, celery and leek, again gently fry without coloring. Add the lentils, mix all ingredients gently and pour in your stock. Bring to boil and once boiling reduce the heat, simmer covered for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. When lentils are soft, stir in the cumin, lime, salt and pepper. While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. or 350 degrees F. Slice each bread slice into cubes and sprinkle with olive oil and if you like, garlic or garlic salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until cubes are dried. Keep an eye on them while bake to make sure they don’t burn. When you are about to serve the soup, fry the onions in olive oil and season with curry powder. Pour the ready soup into the serving dish, add the fried onions, croutons and enjoy! 3 stars 1 reviews