"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Amoretti products are not processed. They are all natural with no HFCS, no artificial flavors or colors, no trans fats, no GMOs, and Rabbi certified kosher.
How are they not processed? You don't find them just sitting around outside, right? They come in jars. Someone has processed them from farm products.

None of these - "HFCS, no artificial flavors or colors, no trans fats, no GMOs, and Rabbi certified kosher" - indicates that they are not processed.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Traditional "Texas Red" chili doesn't have any tomatoes, beans, and certainly not ketchup. That gets rid of a bunch of carbs.

I use a small can of tomato sauce (or plum tomatoes crushed), and NO ketchup, in my chili. The kind of beans you use shouldn't make much of a difference, in flavor, and you can leave them out altogether if the carbs are a problem. I use Ranch Style Beans, which are pintos. But, again, I don't think other beans would change the taste of your chili much, if any.

Chili powder, cumin, cayenne and paprika are pretty common for cooking chili down here. Fiesta is a popular spice brand in Texas.

CD
Except I clearly stated I wanted to make sweet style chili with beans, not Texas style which I do not care for.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
Except I clearly stated I wanted to make sweet style chili with beans, not Texas style which I do not care for.
I thought you clearly stated, in your thread title, that you wanted to make low-carb chili. Okay, enjoy your sweet chili -- with ketchup. Just don't tell us the beans are a problem, when the real problem is sugar. Chili made with ketchup doesn't sound "amazing" to me, but whatever floats your boat.

CD
Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Ok. I just have to jump in here for a second to defend Bossman.

First of all, he is sharing HIS low carb chili recipe in the recipe section. He wasn't asking anyone here for advice or input about anything. Really, there wasn't any need for anyone to jump in and begin criticizing, or offering their "improvements."

Second, I've been on the same diet as Bossman for three years now, so I can relate. Believe me when I say beans ARE a problem on this diet. They are starchy vegetables and, being diabetic myself, I can tell you firsthand that they jack up your blood sugar. I can't just go out and order chili at a restaurant because almost everywhere (except maybe in Texas) people put beans in their chili.

Breaking News. Some regions of the US even put (gasp!) ketchup AND pasta in their chili, because that's what they grew up with. My mom did that. If it ain't your particular kind of chili, oh well.

Bossman's recipe clearly calls for low carb ingredients, namely reduced sugar Heinz ketchup and Eden Organic Black Soybeans - both of which are very low carb. The beans, in particular, are about the only ones you can safely eat on this diet. They have 3.5g net carbs for an entire can vs. 40+ for Bush's pinto beans. The 3 tablespoons of reduced sugar ketchup has 3g carbs vs 15 for regular ketchup.

Most importantly, Bossman's lost 25 pounds in a month and a half, even through the holidays. That's pretty commendable, if you ask me.

Honestly, I don't know why people feel the need to jump in and criticize folks who are just trying to contribute. It really doesn't make for a friendly community.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Ok. I just have to jump in here for a second to defend Bossman.

First of all, he is sharing HIS low carb chili recipe in the recipe section. He wasn't asking anyone here for advice or input about anything. Really, there wasn't any need for anyone to jump in and begin criticizing, or offering their "improvements."

Honestly, I don't know why people feel the need to jump in and criticize folks who are just trying to contribute. It really doesn't make for a friendly community.
Amen
Old 01-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #16
Master Chef

+1.....
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #17
Head Chef

+ 2...

Ross

Tags
black soy beans, chili, hamburger, recipe, tomato sauce

Low carb amazing chili!! I have been absolutely dying for some chili since I switched to a ketogenic diet on 11/25 (already down 26lbs). I just could not seem to figure out a way to get that taste and mouth feel that I crave. I prefer sweet style, which just means it has beans and a higher amount of liquid than say Texas style, it does not mean it has to be sweet. Finally I found a can of Hunts tomato sauce that has only 3g net carbs per serving and and I decided to base my recipe around it, less carbs per serving than tomato juice which is what my normal chili recipe calls for and it uses a LOT. I ended up making it a bit thicker with less liquid than I normally do to keep the mouth feel right. It turned out AMAZING! It would be hard for me to decipher this from my normal chili in a blind test other than the slight different taste of black soy beans compared with kidney beans. * 2lbs hamburger * 1/2 yellow onion, diced small * 1 15oz can Hunts tomato sauce (look for a sauce that is 3g net carbs per serving) * 1-4 cups beef broth to preference * 2 cans Eden black soy beans (netrition.com) * 4 tablespoons chili powder (I prefer McCormicks) * 1-3 tablespoons Siracha to taste * 3 tablespoons Heinz reduced sugar ketchup * 1 teaspoon cumin * 1/2 teaspoon Cayanne and Paprika * 1-3 tablespoons diced pickled jalapenos Brown the hamburger in a medium sized soup pan along with the diced onion, cook until the onion is soft. Add the jalapenos, spices, Siracha and ketchup. Cook on medium high heat for a few minutes to get the raw flavor out of the spices. Add in the tomato sauce and the beef broth, add just enough beef broth to get the consistency you prefer. You could even leave it out if you want it as thick as possible. Add in the black soy beans and let it simmer for at least 30 mins. Really pumped about this recipe, one of the best keto adaptations I have done! Makes 8 servings 6g net carbs per serving and 254 calories! 3 stars 1 reviews