"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Cook

Low carb amazing chili!!

I have been absolutely dying for some chili since I switched to a ketogenic diet on 11/25 (already down 26lbs). I just could not seem to figure out a way to get that taste and mouth feel that I crave. I prefer sweet style, which just means it has beans and a higher amount of liquid than say Texas style, it does not mean it has to be sweet.

Finally I found a can of Hunts tomato sauce that has only 3g net carbs per serving and and I decided to base my recipe around it, less carbs per serving than tomato juice which is what my normal chili recipe calls for and it uses a LOT. I ended up making it a bit thicker with less liquid than I normally do to keep the mouth feel right. It turned out AMAZING! It would be hard for me to decipher this from my normal chili in a blind test other than the slight different taste of black soy beans compared with kidney beans.

* 2lbs hamburger
* 1/2 yellow onion, diced small
* 1 15oz can Hunts tomato sauce (look for a sauce that is 3g net carbs per serving)
* 1-4 cups beef broth to preference
* 2 cans Eden black soy beans (netrition.com)
* 4 tablespoons chili powder (I prefer McCormicks)
* 1-3 tablespoons Siracha to taste
* 3 tablespoons Heinz reduced sugar ketchup
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon Cayanne and Paprika
* 1-3 tablespoons diced pickled jalapenos

Brown the hamburger in a medium sized soup pan along with the diced onion, cook until the onion is soft. Add the jalapenos, spices, Siracha and ketchup. Cook on medium high heat for a few minutes to get the raw flavor out of the spices. Add in the tomato sauce and the beef broth, add just enough beef broth to get the consistency you prefer. You could even leave it out if you want it as thick as possible. Add in the black soy beans and let it simmer for at least 30 mins.

Really pumped about this recipe, one of the best keto adaptations I have done! Makes 8 servings 6g net carbs per serving and 254 calories!

bossman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Head Chef

My daughter and SIL asked me to come up with meals of this type, when I get to MO..

This recipe seems to be just what they would like.. I'll do this one soon..

Thanks, bossman..

Ross

Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Master Chef

Chili is already low carb. Chili is a spicy stew containing chili peppers, meat (usually beef), and tomatoes. Seasonings include garlic, onions, and cumin. Even if you add 1/2 cup of pinto beans per serving (if you do that in Texas you'll get shot!), that is only 9g total carbs with 5g of dietary fiber, for a net value of 4g carbs per serving. There are more carbs in the tortillas or cornbread you serve with the chili than there is in the chili itself.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Chili is already low carb. Chili is a spicy stew containing chili peppers, meat (usually beef), and tomatoes. Seasonings include garlic, onions, and cumin. Even if you add 1/2 cup of pinto beans per serving (if you do that in Texas you'll get shot!), that is only 9g total carbs with 5g of dietary fiber, for a net value of 4g carbs per serving. There are more carbs in the tortillas or cornbread you serve with the chili than there is in the chili itself.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it's more like 14g net carbs for a half cup of cooked pinto beans (22g total carbs - 8g fiber, based on the label below). On a ketogenic diet, where you're looking to keep your total net carbs under 20g a day, that would be a tight fit by the time you factor in the tomatoes, onions, etc. Bossman is on the right track by using black soybeans, which don't taste much different than black turtle beans, but only have something like 3g net carbs for the entire can.

I've been on a ketogenic diet for over three years, so I know it's not as easy as it sounds to make chili that fits the guidelines. Tomato is the tough ingredient, because it has a lot of natural sugars. When I make chili, it's more like a Texas style chili. I only use a small can of tomato sauce. Most of the flavoring comes from dried chiles. I rehydrate them in beef stock, and then puree in the blender. That's what I use for my chili base.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Not just the beans, the tomato juice that I am use to using has 8g net carbs per 8oz.
bossman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

Calories in Pinto Beans (Net Carbs)

Stop using processed ingredients in your chili. 1 medium whole tomato only has a total of 4.8 grams of carbs and 1.5g dietary fiber for a net value of 3.3g carbs (ref https://www.google.com/search?q=toma...hrome&ie=UTF-8)
Old 01-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Yeah, I sure wouldn't rely on MyFitnessPal as a source for accurate nutrition information.

Here are two more MFP entries for pinto beans that completely refute the one you cited above, and neither looks correct.
Calories in Beans Pinto, Cooked, Boiled, With Salt - Calories and Nutrition Facts | MyFitnessPal.com
Calories in Beans Pinto, Canned - Calories and Nutrition Facts | MyFitnessPal.com

How about we check the USDA database? That one comes up with 12g net:
USDA Branded Food Products Database

As for using "processed ingredients," aren't you the one who is constantly touting Amoretti products on DC?
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Ah, a good ole' chili fight.

I made sweet cornbread to serve with my neighbor's chili with beans yesterday. Two controversial calls.

But, I must say, I haven't been shot... yet.

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
I have been absolutely dying for some chili since I switched to a ketogenic diet on 11/25 (already down 26lbs). I just could not seem to figure out a way to get that taste and mouth feel that I crave. I prefer sweet style, which just means it has beans and a higher amount of liquid than say Texas style, it does not mean it has to be sweet.

Finally I found a can of Hunts tomato sauce that has only 3g net carbs per serving and and I decided to base my recipe around it, less carbs per serving than tomato juice which is what my normal chili recipe calls for and it uses a LOT. I ended up making it a bit thicker with less liquid than I normally do to keep the mouth feel right. It turned out AMAZING! It would be hard for me to decipher this from my normal chili in a blind test other than the slight different taste of black soy beans compared with kidney beans.

* 2lbs hamburger
* 1/2 yellow onion, diced small
* 1 15oz can Hunts tomato sauce (look for a sauce that is 3g net carbs per serving)
* 1-4 cups beef broth to preference
* 2 cans Eden black soy beans (netrition.com)
* 4 tablespoons chili powder (I prefer McCormicks)
* 1-3 tablespoons Siracha to taste
* 3 tablespoons Heinz reduced sugar ketchup
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon Cayanne and Paprika
* 1-3 tablespoons diced pickled jalapenos

Brown the hamburger in a medium sized soup pan along with the diced onion, cook until the onion is soft. Add the jalapenos, spices, Siracha and ketchup. Cook on medium high heat for a few minutes to get the raw flavor out of the spices. Add in the tomato sauce and the beef broth, add just enough beef broth to get the consistency you prefer. You could even leave it out if you want it as thick as possible. Add in the black soy beans and let it simmer for at least 30 mins.

Really pumped about this recipe, one of the best keto adaptations I have done! Makes 8 servings 6g net carbs per serving and 254 calories!
Traditional "Texas Red" chili doesn't have any tomatoes, beans, and certainly not ketchup. That gets rid of a bunch of carbs.

I use a small can of tomato sauce (or plum tomatoes crushed), and NO ketchup, in my chili. The kind of beans you use shouldn't make much of a difference, in flavor, and you can leave them out altogether if the carbs are a problem. I use Ranch Style Beans, which are pintos. But, again, I don't think other beans would change the taste of your chili much, if any.

Chili powder, cumin, cayenne and paprika are pretty common for cooking chili down here. Fiesta is a popular spice brand in Texas.

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
As for using "processed ingredients," aren't you the one who is constantly touting Amoretti products on DC?
Amoretti products are not processed. They are all natural with no HFCS, no artificial flavors or colors, no trans fats, no GMOs, and Rabbi certified kosher.

Tags
black soy beans, chili, hamburger, recipe, tomato sauce

Low carb amazing chili!! I have been absolutely dying for some chili since I switched to a ketogenic diet on 11/25 (already down 26lbs). I just could not seem to figure out a way to get that taste and mouth feel that I crave. I prefer sweet style, which just means it has beans and a higher amount of liquid than say Texas style, it does not mean it has to be sweet. Finally I found a can of Hunts tomato sauce that has only 3g net carbs per serving and and I decided to base my recipe around it, less carbs per serving than tomato juice which is what my normal chili recipe calls for and it uses a LOT. I ended up making it a bit thicker with less liquid than I normally do to keep the mouth feel right. It turned out AMAZING! It would be hard for me to decipher this from my normal chili in a blind test other than the slight different taste of black soy beans compared with kidney beans. * 2lbs hamburger * 1/2 yellow onion, diced small * 1 15oz can Hunts tomato sauce (look for a sauce that is 3g net carbs per serving) * 1-4 cups beef broth to preference * 2 cans Eden black soy beans (netrition.com) * 4 tablespoons chili powder (I prefer McCormicks) * 1-3 tablespoons Siracha to taste * 3 tablespoons Heinz reduced sugar ketchup * 1 teaspoon cumin * 1/2 teaspoon Cayanne and Paprika * 1-3 tablespoons diced pickled jalapenos Brown the hamburger in a medium sized soup pan along with the diced onion, cook until the onion is soft. Add the jalapenos, spices, Siracha and ketchup. Cook on medium high heat for a few minutes to get the raw flavor out of the spices. Add in the tomato sauce and the beef broth, add just enough beef broth to get the consistency you prefer. You could even leave it out if you want it as thick as possible. Add in the black soy beans and let it simmer for at least 30 mins. Really pumped about this recipe, one of the best keto adaptations I have done! Makes 8 servings 6g net carbs per serving and 254 calories! 3 stars 1 reviews