"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I wouldn't dismiss that technique right off.Like everyone says it's probably cooked too long,but cooking ingredients in a specific order will change a final dish.Otherwise why saute in the first place when it's going to be thouroughly cooked in the 2 and 1/2 hour simmer time?Or why salt pasta water when you can just salt the pasta afterwords.A good example of this technique is ratatouille.the natural umami of ratatouille would never happen if the veg was cooked seperately,similar but a totally different mouthfeel and texture.

Old cookbooks tend to overcook and simmer recipes far too long by todays standards.Shorten the cooking time but maintain or even change up the order,possibly getting a slightly different final taste,it's what cooking is all about.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #12
Head Chef

Three hours seems like a long time to me also. And agree that you can saute the other ingredients at the same time.

But I am a double adder.

By that I mean I make the vegetable stock, maybe filter it, but then add, and boil, more of the same veggies so they have a bit of freshness or crunch.

That way you get the wonderful flavor of the broth, but also the taste of the veggies.

Just my approach.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
Master Chef

Though, I understand why you would cook beans for 3 hours, but cooking everything else for 3 hours will make them 9the veggies) look like a mush. I don’t know why you would have to fallow any order in this particular case. I see how it could be relevant if you are just cooking everything for 20 or so minutes. As a matter of fact I bet that was meant to begin with cook the beans for 2.5 hours and add the rest of the stuff last ½ an hour.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Without seeing the recipe I can't be sure, but I would venture a guess that it is because some veggies take longer to cook than others. So, if you start with the ones that take the longest working your way through to the ones that need the least amount of cooking you will get them all to the correct "doneness" at the same time.

Also, sauteeing tends to make many veggies sweeter, which is why you do them that way before adding any broth. You would get a much different flavour from a soup that used all raw veggies.
What's the best way of sauteeing vegetables? To a novice like me, it sounds like it's just frying the vegetables a little in olive oil...
Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchonionsoup
What's the best way of sauteeing vegetables? To a novice like me, it sounds like it's just frying the vegetables a little in olive oil...
That's basically it. Saute over fairly high heat. A saute is intended to add color to the veggies.

Tags
None