"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 07-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Senior Cook

If it's a Simon Hopkinson recipe it'll be darn good. In the UK he is very highly regarded by other British chefs of high repute, and well worth looking at.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I don't understand the two step process used to cook the parsley, why can't it all go directly into the soup?
Neither did I, but I greatly respect Simon Hopkinson, so I had the sense to follow along blindly. The blanching step? I'm sure it's partially for the brilliant colour it adds, but probably also for the pure, uncooked jolt of parsley flavour it adds.

Further thoughts on a good stock for this. The first time I made it, I substituted chicken stock like I normally do, but it added the familiar old flavour that just didn't belong. The veggie-stock versions people have suggested all seem to add more than needed. Second time I made it, I completely ad-libbed by sweating the Louisiana Holy Trinity (onion, celery, green pepper) in butter then adding water, carrot and celery tops, and celeriac root-peelings. It hit the spot nicely, but as it was (and is) my only attempt at veggie stock, I was a little shy about mentioning it.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:15 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post

What Jacques Pepin does is every time he is cooking, and has leftover vegetable scraps, he puts them in a container and stores it in the freezer. Them when he accumulates enough, he then makes a stock out of it, this way, he always has something on hand to use.
That's what I do too. When the container is full, I make the stock. I don't season it until I'm going to use it. I have one of those silicone muffin "tins". I fill that and freeze it. Then I pop out the chunks of stock and store those in a Ziplock in the freezer. I just grab a few for lots of things I'm cooking.

Tags
parsley, recipe, soup

Parsley Soup (Simon Hopkinson) [B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Parsley Soup (Simon Hopkinson)[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B] [CENTER] [IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2311538867_e3ee8ec355_o.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] This soup is one of the most surprsing things I've ever made. I have described it as: "parsley, as imagined by God." It comes from "[URL="https://www.amazon.com/Roast-Chicken-Other-Stories-Hopkinson/dp/1401308627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468962772&sr=8-1&keywords=roast+chicken+and+other+stories"]Roast Chicken and Other Stories[/URL]," which one British reviewer quite reasonably declared the most useful cookbook of all time. It contains six ingredients, but that's misleading, because the parsley is prepared in three different ways. Again this is a clean rip-off of the original, which I doubt could be improved on. If there is some sad, wannabee replacement for cream somewhere, it could even be made vegan. It comes together quickly, and I've even served it the next day chilled as parsley mousse. Fresh, springy broad-leafed Italian parsley is essential. I often substitute chicken for vegetable stock in recipes. That would be a dreadful mistake here, but a mild dashi might work well. A few unseasoned croutons on top would provide a nice texture change. butter 75g 2 leeks white parts sliced (being a cheap Scot, I include the bright green internal parts, too, and they do no harm) 2 large bunches of well-washed Italian broad-leaved parsley, separating the stalks from the leaves. 1 large potato chopped vegetable stock 750 ml (I honestly don't know a good commercial version; water would be better) s & p double cream 150 ml Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the chopped leeks and the parsley stalks and sweat uncovered for 20 minutes. Add the potato and stock and simmer for a further 20 minutes. Add half of the parsley leaves (roughly chopped) and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile blanch the remaining parsley leaves in vigorously boiling water for 30 seconds, remove and immediately cool with ice water or a cold running tap. Squeeze out as much water as you can using a clean tea towel (dishcloth) Remove the soup from the heat, add the squeezed parsley and liquidize with an immersion blender. Force the soup through a fine sieve into another saucepan (don't skip this step!), return to the heat, add the cream and season to taste. 3 stars 1 reviews