"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Quick Question. Chicken Soup.

I made a chicken broth/stock yesterday. No aromatics. Just a chicken carcass and a bag of bones.
I strained it last night and refrigerated. I plan to remove the congealed fat from the top today before I use it.

Should I saute/brown up the aromatics in the pot before adding liquid? I have carrots, celery and onions. I have some boneless thighs I plan to cut up and add to the soup. Should I brown up these chicken pieces too?

My gut says yes to both questions. But now that I have all of you, what would you do?
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Nice gut you have there. Brown is the color of great flavor.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
.....what Andy said. Go for it.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I made a chicken broth/stock yesterday. No aromatics. Just a chicken carcass and a bag of bones.
I strained it last night and refrigerated. I plan to remove the congealed fat from the top today before I use it.

Should I saute/brown up the aromatics in the pot before adding liquid? I have carrots, celery and onions. I have some boneless thighs I plan to cut up and add to the soup. Should I brown up these chicken pieces too?

My gut says yes to both questions. But now that I have all of you, what would you do?
Well, it isn't absolutely essential but it really adds to the flavour of the finished soup.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
It will be the best you ever made if you brown it up a bit.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Thanks. I was never much on soup, but I am now. So that is why I ask the questions with the easy answers.

I will saute the seasoned chicken pieces first, remove from pan and set aside. Then in same pot the aromatics. I will include some fresh crushed garlic.
Once the aromatics are lightly browned I will put the chicken back in and add my stock.
I have some green onions too. Scallions. I think I will slice some really thin and garnish the tops of each bowel with some.
Oh I am also adding some egg noodles at the very end.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Thanks. I was never much on soup, but I am now. So that is why I ask the questions with the easy answers.

I will saute the seasoned chicken pieces first, remove from pan and set aside. Then in same pot the aromatics. I will include some fresh crushed garlic.
Once the aromatics are lightly browned I will put the chicken back in and add my stock.
I have some green onions too. Scallions. I think I will slice some really thin and garnish the tops of each bowel with some.
Oh I am also adding some egg noodles at the very end.

Mmmm! Sounds great. Next, bake a loaf of bread to go along with it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Sounds wonderful! Enjoy! I love creating and making soups.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mmmm! Sounds great. Next, bake a loaf of bread to go along with it.
I am not about to start baking bread today...lol But I do have some nice crusty rolls in the freezer that will thaw nicely.
Maybe I can get my wife to stop by Panera on her way home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sounds wonderful! Enjoy! I love creating and making soups.
I am starting to enjoy it too. My next thing will be creamy soups and then when it gets warm outside, I may try a cold soup.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I am starting to enjoy it too. My next thing will be creamy soups and then when it gets warm outside, I may try a cold soup.
I spent several years as a soup, salad and sandwich chef. The best soups (best sellers) were soups I created out of odds and ends and could never repeat. It was great fun.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, soup

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.