Sauce consistency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was first making curry--I live in the midwest US and grew up never having made it or even tasted it for my first 30 years. I couldn't get the sauce cooked right because it would over cook the chunky vegetables. The sauce had a lot of small cut up veggies and I wanted something smooth. So I cooked the chunky vegetables almost done first, removed them. Made the sauce and when it was cooked, use a hand blender on it to make it smooth. Cook it down until it was the right consistency, then add back the rest of the vegetables.

I'm particular about not overcooking the zucchini and broccoli, so especially for those, it's better either add them after the sauce is right, or have them cooked to add at the end.

Looks like the OP has lost interest in this post, but I'd have to say either not enough fat or temp too high and it caused yogurt to curdle, or both. Could be the recipe too. It's weird that people will ask for help and then won't post the recipe, even when requested to more than once.

Looks like the OP has lost interest in this post, but I'd have to say either not enough fat or temp too high and it caused yogurt to curdle, or both. Could be the recipe too. It's weird that people will ask for help and then won't post the recipe, even when requested to more than once.

Glad to see we both had the same thoughts on the yogurt.

But about the OP; I once joined a forum, posted a question, when I went back the next day... I couldn't figure out how to navigate the site and couldn't even find my original post. LOL

the site was not like this forum. I belong to several forum with this exact same layout. But even "way back when" I joined my first forum I had the dickens of a time learning the ropes.

So I usually give Single Posters the benefit of the doubt.;) :LOL:

Oh my! :ohmy: I sincerely apologize! to suthsea! and to all :( I obviously misunderstood the intention of your post medtran and did not go back to check the OP.

I don't do curries, but sauces in general need to be brought to a simmer, and reduced to the right consistency. They won't thicken until brought to a boil (simmer). That simmering process should reduce the water content of your sauce.

Also, are you using raw veggies? They are loaded with water. If I am using veggies in a sauce, I sweat them down first, to steam off some of the water.

That's all I got. I hope it helps.

CD

I know this is an old thread but I’ve only just come across it and wanted to say that’s a helpful comment about sweating the veggies first. I used to wonder why recipes said to sweat/fry onions first when making a sauce and why they can’t be added later. Your comment explains why, so thank you!

Gillian

Back
Top Bottom