Stock? spices or no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Sort of a Poll really...

When Y'all make Stock (any kind) for soups and such...

Do you just make it Plain with just bones and water? so it comes out like the store bought canned stuff?

Or do you add lots of veggies and spices to flavor the stock while it is cooking.

I've been playing around with the Idea of just making a very thick un-flavored stock to freeze in smaller quanties, and then be able to use that to make soups that I flavor later to my desire...

Thanks, Eric.

I only make vegetable stocks, but if im making it to store for future use, Ill usually make it relatively basic so it can be used for whatever i want, whenever I want.
I feel that if i customize it too much with certain herbs and spices, then it may limit what i can use it for later on. I want something that is more universal, so I can use it as a basic building block.

That being said, if Im making it for something specific, then Ill spice it up accordingly to the flavor I want to achieve.

If I do customize with a certain flavor profile, I will label it as such, so when i grab it from the freezer I dont use it for the wrong recipe.

A few examples of this is especially in the summer, when I have an over abundance of herbs and certain veggies. Sometimes I just got to get rid of what I got before it gets over ripe or rots. So , ill make a soup or stew base that may be very specific to what is in season at that time.

Also, when im up to my neck in tomatoes, Ill make several tomato bases. One may be basic tomato puree that can be used for anything, one may be heavy on the basil/ oregano that i have available in the garden, and Ill also make one with ginger, garlic and other herbs and spices that i use as a base for making Indian food. Sometimes one with tomatoes, onions and peppers for a future chili base.

But in general, I try to keep everything basic and build from there as I make whatever i am making. And I'll Clearly label the rest.

I usually make chicken broth if I bake or poach a chicken, using bones and skin. I don't add anything to it, then I freeze it. We use it for making soups and stews and if anyone has a cold or flu, they season it when they drink it.

I normally add parsley stems, celery, onion, and carrots to chicken stock plus mushroom stems to beef stock.

I season the stock with salt and pepper maybe a bay leaf or two and a glug of apple cider vinegar.

I usually make a basic stock with just the bones/skin and the 3 vegies (carrots, celery, onions). No salt nor herbs til I use it.

I freeze them in 1 cup, 2 cup increments and ice cube trays - cubes are often very handy.

Just made a big batch earlier this week. Aside from the chicken parts and water, I add mire poix - carrots, onion and celery. Also a head of garlic and some whole peppercorns. This was for a 5-gallon stock pot full to the brim.

I also make my stock with mire poix and a bunch of whole peppercorns. Seems to work with whatever I want to use it for.

I usually make a basic stock with just the bones/skin and the 3 vegies (carrots, celery, onions). No salt nor herbs til I use it.

I freeze them in 1 cup, 2 cup increments and ice cube trays - cubes are often very handy.

I also do this. Plus I save wing tips, roasted chicken bones and parsley stems in freezer for future use in making basic chicken stock. I’ll also add green leek tops to the pot when making chicken soup stock.

Sort of a Poll really...

When Y'all make Stock (any kind) for soups and such...

Do you just make it Plain with just bones and water? so it comes out like the store bought canned stuff?

Or do you add lots of veggies and spices to flavor the stock while it is cooking.

I've been playing around with the Idea of just making a very thick un-flavored stock to freeze in smaller quanties, and then be able to use that to make soups that I flavor later to my desire...

Thanks, Eric.

I use veggies (2:1:1 mirepoix of rough chopped onion, carrot, and celery) and a bouquet garni bundle of herbs. The stock (I mostly just make chicken or turkey stock) has a really nice flavor and is usable for pretty much anything. It just tastes like chicken soup, and that's what I'm generally after for making sauces and gravies, or just for soup. For me, I find that if I start with something with good flavor, the final product has good flavor.

I also do this. Plus I save wing tips, roasted chicken bones and parsley stems in freezer for future use in making basic chicken stock. I’ll also add green leek tops to the pot when making chicken soup stock.

I like using wing tips too. They add enough gelatin to the stock that it chills and sets up like Jello. Good protein source.

Last edited:
Woops!! I stand corrected - I, too, add peppercorns and parsley stocks.

As for bones I save them all, wing tips, pope's nose are especially good for gelatin.

Onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, peppercorns...any stock I make. This weekend I'll be making pork stock.

I have quart jars that I am keeping it in and try to keep a gallon each of chicken, beef and pork. Salt when I am ready to use it, usually by the cup.

This weekend I'll be making pork stock.
What do you start it with? Never thought of doing pork. Raw? cooked bones? skin?

I have quart jars that I am keeping it in and Do you freeze these or Pressure cook?

I would love to do jars but only have a toggle pressure cooker. Think my neighbour has a Gauge one - but that is not a piece of equipment that I would feel comfortable ... borrowing :angel:

I would love to do jars but only have a toggle pressure cooker. Think my neighbour has a Gauge one - but that is not a piece of equipment that I would feel comfortable ... borrowing :angel:

I use pork neck bones, roast them then turn them into stock (bone broth).

I don't can any of my stocks, just jar them up and refrigerate. I only do a gallon at a time so easy, for me, to use it up. I drink or make into soup a quart a day. Working on weight loss, I miss my toes.:pig:

I should really do that too. Soup would certainly help but it seems I prefer creamed soups! :ohmy: Maybe if I kept a quart like that I'd be more inclined to have a cuppa.

I lost weight then packed it right back on with a vengeance when I started taking gabalon. I'm just getting off them now and hopefully will be able to start exercising and walking again. As soon as I can catch my breath! :angel:

I should really do that too. Soup would certainly help but it seems I prefer creamed soups! :ohmy: Maybe if I kept a quart like that I'd be more inclined to have a cuppa.

I lost weight then packed it right back on with a vengeance when I started taking gabalon. I'm just getting off them now and hopefully will be able to start exercising and walking again. As soon as I can catch my breath! :angel:

If you have a blender try making cream of anything soup. :yum:

For each serving:

1-1 1/4 cups of broth, milk or vegetable juice.
1 cup leftover cooked vegetables.
Season to taste.

Heat the vegetables in the broth and carefully puree with a stick or conventional blender. You can also puree the ingredients cold and heat in the microwave with good results.

Last edited:
I once asked Dx why she doesn't put hardly anything in her chicken stock. Maybe an onion and a couple carrots, if even that. She said, put other ingredients, herbs, veggies etc in when making a recipe. This is stock. She slow simmers it all day, freezes it and it is very good

I save up bones and vegi bits, peels, and parsley stems in the freezer. Then I make separate, unseasoned meat stock or vegi stock. I season later and often use some of the vegi stock to add to the meat stock. The vegis give up all their flavour a lot quicker than the bones and meat. Also, if composting, you might not want any bones in the compost.

I save up bones and vegi bits, peels, and parsley stems in the freezer. Then I make separate, unseasoned meat stock or vegi stock. I season later and often use some of the vegi stock to add to the meat stock. The vegis give up all their flavour a lot quicker than the bones and meat. Also, if composting, you might not want any bones in the compost.

Now that's a great idea Taxi...

Back
Top Bottom