"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Stock? spices or no

Sort of a Poll really...

When Y'all make Stock (any kind) for soups and such...

Do you just make it Plain with just bones and water? so it comes out like the store bought canned stuff?

Or do you add lots of veggies and spices to flavor the stock while it is cooking.

I've been playing around with the Idea of just making a very thick un-flavored stock to freeze in smaller quanties, and then be able to use that to make soups that I flavor later to my desire...

Thanks, Eric.

giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I only make vegetable stocks, but if im making it to store for future use, Ill usually make it relatively basic so it can be used for whatever i want, whenever I want.
I feel that if i customize it too much with certain herbs and spices, then it may limit what i can use it for later on. I want something that is more universal, so I can use it as a basic building block.

That being said, if Im making it for something specific, then Ill spice it up accordingly to the flavor I want to achieve.

If I do customize with a certain flavor profile, I will label it as such, so when i grab it from the freezer I dont use it for the wrong recipe.

A few examples of this is especially in the summer, when I have an over abundance of herbs and certain veggies. Sometimes I just got to get rid of what I got before it gets over ripe or rots. So , ill make a soup or stew base that may be very specific to what is in season at that time.

Also, when im up to my neck in tomatoes, Ill make several tomato bases. One may be basic tomato puree that can be used for anything, one may be heavy on the basil/ oregano that i have available in the garden, and Ill also make one with ginger, garlic and other herbs and spices that i use as a base for making Indian food. Sometimes one with tomatoes, onions and peppers for a future chili base.

But in general, I try to keep everything basic and build from there as I make whatever i am making. And I'll Clearly label the rest.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I usually make chicken broth if I bake or poach a chicken, using bones and skin. I don't add anything to it, then I freeze it. We use it for making soups and stews and if anyone has a cold or flu, they season it when they drink it.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Master Chef

I normally add parsley stems, celery, onion, and carrots to chicken stock plus mushroom stems to beef stock.

I season the stock with salt and pepper maybe a bay leaf or two and a glug of apple cider vinegar.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I usually make a basic stock with just the bones/skin and the 3 vegies (carrots, celery, onions). No salt nor herbs til I use it.

I freeze them in 1 cup, 2 cup increments and ice cube trays - cubes are often very handy.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Just made a big batch earlier this week. Aside from the chicken parts and water, I add mire poix - carrots, onion and celery. Also a head of garlic and some whole peppercorns. This was for a 5-gallon stock pot full to the brim.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I also make my stock with mire poix and a bunch of whole peppercorns. Seems to work with whatever I want to use it for.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I usually make a basic stock with just the bones/skin and the 3 vegies (carrots, celery, onions). No salt nor herbs til I use it.

I freeze them in 1 cup, 2 cup increments and ice cube trays - cubes are often very handy.
I also do this. Plus I save wing tips, roasted chicken bones and parsley stems in freezer for future use in making basic chicken stock. Ill also add green leek tops to the pot when making chicken soup stock.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Like most, I also use mire poix with the chicken bones along with parsley stems. In addition, I add whole peppercorns, and a whole Meyer lemon cut in wedges.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
Sort of a Poll really...

When Y'all make Stock (any kind) for soups and such...

Do you just make it Plain with just bones and water? so it comes out like the store bought canned stuff?

Or do you add lots of veggies and spices to flavor the stock while it is cooking.

I've been playing around with the Idea of just making a very thick un-flavored stock to freeze in smaller quanties, and then be able to use that to make soups that I flavor later to my desire...

Thanks, Eric.
I use veggies (2:1:1 mirepoix of rough chopped onion, carrot, and celery) and a bouquet garni bundle of herbs. The stock (I mostly just make chicken or turkey stock) has a really nice flavor and is usable for pretty much anything. It just tastes like chicken soup, and that's what I'm generally after for making sauces and gravies, or just for soup. For me, I find that if I start with something with good flavor, the final product has good flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I also do this. Plus I save wing tips, roasted chicken bones and parsley stems in freezer for future use in making basic chicken stock. I’ll also add green leek tops to the pot when making chicken soup stock.
I like using wing tips too. They add enough gelatin to the stock that it chills and sets up like Jello. Good protein source.

Tags
spices, stock