Tomato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's one you mike like:
Tomato/Basil Soup:
2 lg tomato juice
Diced canned tomatoes
1 tomato paste
4 c water mixed with powdered coffee mate creamer & 1/4 box of cornstarch dissolved in it.
1/2 c brown sugar
2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
Fresh garlic
Oregano
Basil
pinch of cayenene pepper.

Dissolve creamer mixture into the tomato juice, add tomato paste. Mix together. Add the rest of the ingredients, season to taste.

I've never found a tomato soup to beat Elizabeth David's recipe. I make it often for dinner parties, and always get requests for the recepe.

It's heaven in the summer when fresh basil is easily available:

Minestra di Pomidoro (Tomato soup)

Melt 1 1/2 lb of chopped and skinned tomatoes in olive oil; add a clove of garlic and a bunch of fresh or basil or marjoram. Cook for 5 minutes, then add a pint of chicken stock, salt and pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Cook for 5 minutes more only.

By this method the flavour of the tomatoes is retained, and the soup tastes very fresh.

Can be eaten hot or cold.
Enough for four.

Looking forward to trying these. Makes me wish for August and fresh tomatoes.

This is favorite at our house. I pressure can several batches (without the cream) when we're overrun with tomatoes, then add cream or 1/2 & 1/2 when heating. Makes a good instant pasta sauce, too. If there are no decent tomatoes available, I'll bet canned fire-roasted ones would work.

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup

12 tomatoes -- *see Note
2 carrots -- cut in 2" pieces
1 large onion -- quartered
2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
olive oil
2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
cream -- to taste

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened.

Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. Add cream to taste.

*Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is favorite at our house. I pressure can several batches (without the cream) when we're overrun with tomatoes, then add cream or 1/2 & 1/2 when heating. Makes a good instant pasta sauce, too. If there are no decent tomatoes available, I'll bet canned fire-roasted ones would work.

12 tomatoes -- *see Note
olive oil
cream -- to taste

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened.

Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. Add cream to taste.

*Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

Thank you, it sounds very good. About how much cream or half and half do you use?

Thank you, it sounds very good. About how much cream or half and half do you use?

Thanks. You gotta like garlic, though!

It depends on how acidic the tomatoes are, and how creamy you like it....maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup to a batch. I don't add any when we dump it over pasta.

Thanks. You gotta like garlic, though!

It depends on how acidic the tomatoes are, and how creamy you like it....maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup to a batch. I don't add any when we dump it over pasta.

Thank you, that gives me an idea. I'm an ogre, I love garlic...:)

12 tomatoes -- *see Note
olive oil
cream -- to taste

What a nice recipe! I love roasted tomatoes and other veggies for soup. Thanks, and welcome to DC, Bookbrat!

I have nothing to offer because when I make my super spicy non-meat marinara I sometimes just eat it out of a bowl with nothing.

It will put hair on you chest, curl it and take it off in one fell swoop. The recipe is up in pizza sauce at least, and probably a few other places.

T

Nothing against pancetta: I make it at home. But rather than using it and making a roux with the grease and some flour, I hit the mostly-cooked soup with an immersion blender, which makes it creamy without the calories. No chili, but I roast red bell pepper and chop it fine, with some fresh tomatoes, and add them near the end of cooking. Chopped fresh basil makes a wonderful garnish.

Back
Top Bottom