"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles

Old 02-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
Master Chef

Glad you liked it, Aunt Bea.

Now I'm craving it all over again! I'll try it with cannellini beans next time.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I love this soup! Thanks for posting a recipe for it.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Head Chef

This is so good I have made it many times, I do like the kale better then the spinach, it holds up better. I have used potatoes and also cannellini beans with great success. The last time I made it , I forgot to buy the sausage, but I had some kielbasa in the freezer so I diced up some up and I try using a small gnocchi (premade pkg from store) . I thought it was very good also. it is a very versatile soup
Old 01-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I made another batch of this soup today, but with hot Italian sausage. Had a nice kick to it without being too hot. I used 2 slices of bacon (all I had), and the bacon flavor was kind of lost with the hot sausage. I used a half bunch of kale and 3 cans of cannellini beans. Also used BTB rather than canned broth, as well as half and half.

A pound of sausage is quite a bit. Next time I think I'll halve the sausage and increase the beans, and maybe increase the kale as well. With the hot sausage I think I can omit the bacon, as we don't have it in the house very often. That should make it a somewhat healthier soup.

Thanks for posting this, Cheryl. Good stuff!
Old 01-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
Master Chef

Good tips there, tenspeed - I think I'll try hot Italian next time. I haven't made this in a while, thanks for the reminder! I'll also try it with the cannellini beans in place of potatoes, as you and a few others have mentioned. It definitely is a great soup - I need to make it while it's still winter.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #16
Master Chef

I also make this Olive Garden knock off with kale and cannelini beans. Sometimes I serve it with knock off Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits and a salad with Olive Garden dressing (they sell it in cute little bottles with a jug handle at my OG). LOL
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I also make this Olive Garden knock off with kale and cannelini beans. Sometimes I serve it with knock off Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits and a salad with Olive Garden dressing (they sell it in cute little bottles with a jug handle at my OG). LOL
I had this soup with my meal at Olive Garden not long ago, and I like mine better. The restaurant uses only potato with no cannelini beans. I like twice the amount of kale with a combo of sweet & hot sausage, and I have to have my bacon.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I had this soup with my meal at Olive Garden not long ago, and I like mine better. The restaurant uses only potato with no cannelini beans. I like twice the amount of kale with a combo of sweet & hot sausage, and I have to have my bacon.
I really don't like the meals very much at OG. So my meal is soup and salad. I use sweet sausage and crushed red pepper flakes, cannelini beans, bacon, kale and half and half or heavy cream.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
Master Chef

It's a good thing this soup is so versatile. With a base of half and half (or heavy cream), red pepper flakes, garlic, bacon, any kind of sausage, and greens, how can it be anything but good?

MsMofet, I was just thinking about Red Lobsters Cheddar Bay biscuits the other day. Those would be wonderful with this soup. Heading off to find a copycat recipe.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
It's a good thing this soup is so versatile. With a base of half and half (or heavy cream), red pepper flakes, garlic, bacon, any kind of sausage, and greens, how can it be anything but good?

MsMofet, I was just thinking about Red Lobsters Cheddar Bay biscuits the other day. Those would be wonderful with this soup. Heading off to find a copycat recipe.
Bisquik is the main ingredient in the copy cat. Butter, dry parsley and garlic salt to brush the tops after baking. Yummy. I want to try to make them with all fresh ingredients and a regular biscuit recipe one day. But the knock off is good.

Tags
other, c