Zuppa Toscana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...MsMofet, I was just thinking about Red Lobsters Cheddar Bay biscuits the other day. Those would be wonderful with this soup. Heading off to find a copycat recipe. :)
I've had a from-scratch copycat in my recipe file for ages - still haven't made them yet. :whistling: I never have Bisquick on hand because I use it so infrequently that it starts to smell "off" before I'm even halfway through the box.

If you want to try the one I found, it's here: Cheddar Bay Biscuits

I had this soup with my meal at Olive Garden not long ago, and I like mine better. The restaurant uses only potato with no cannelini beans. I like twice the amount of kale with a combo of sweet & hot sausage, and I have to have my bacon. :pig:;)
I prefer this soup with potatoes......... until it comes out of the freezer. Potatoes do not freeze well, and the texture is considerably different afterwards. As some of this inevitably goes in the freezer, cannellini beans it is.

I've had a from-scratch copycat in my recipe file for ages - still haven't made them yet. :whistling: I never have Bisquick on hand because I use it so infrequently that it starts to smell "off" before I'm even halfway through the box.

Bisquick is just a combination of a few ingredients:
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, cubed

You could scale this down to make a half batch and freeze some of the biscuits.

Thanks, CG....wow, do those ever look fabulous. :ohmy::yum: I haven't bought Bisquick in several years either, not since I was cooking for my mom. I rarely went through a box even back then, and I always have flour, baking soda, and baking powder on hand anyway.

MUST make those biscuits! :)

Bisquick is just a combination of a few ingredients:
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, cubed

You could scale this down to make a half batch and freeze some of the biscuits.

Or...could I make a batch of the mix, then freeze IT? Say in 1-cup portions?

I don't keep baking ingredients on hand anymore.

A couple times a year, usually with a double coupon, I buy a pouch of Bisquick, Hungry Jack pancake mix, corn muffin mix, cookie mix, etc...

Just right for one or two people, not enough to do any significant damage! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

00016000135406.GIF

Last edited:
I made this soup again on this chilly cloudy spring day.

I gilded the lily this time with about 1/4 cup of dried Porcini mushrooms. Mama Mia, datsa some Zuppa!:brows:

Last edited:
I made this soup and biscuits but never posted the pics. Here they are.

Sausage, kale and bean soup

img_1465542_0_8dd8039414dbd75b3428a6cbf8cdc80c.jpg

Cheddar Bay Biscuits

img_1465542_1_69643dd7917bc51c0a1a4da41d04273f.jpg

Thanks for reviving this, Kay! I've said it recently and haven't done it yet - but I've GOT to make this wonderful soup again! I can imagine the dried porcinis are a great addition. YUM

Beautiful pics, MsM - I want one of those biscuits right now. :yum:

Last edited:
This is a really good recipe from Allrecipes. I'll definitely make this again and again. :yum:

Zuppa Toscana

1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (I didn't use that much, lol)
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth
6 potatoes, thinly sliced (I used reds, and left skin on)
1 cup heavy cream (I used 1/2 and 1/2)
1/4 bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed (I used kale)

(I also blotted as much fat as I could from the sausage, so there wouldn't be a greasy layer of fat floating on the soup)

Super-Delicious Zuppa Toscana Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I was looking high and low for the recipe for this soup!
When I was reading the other thread
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/fall-soup-season-is-back-100677.html
and Kayelle mentioned this soup, my mouth watered!!!

I made it again not long ago Kgirl, and froze some. Love that the white beans that I use in the soup freeze well, rather than potatoes that do not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom