Zuppa Toscana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
This is a really good recipe from Allrecipes. I'll definitely make this again and again. :yum:

Zuppa Toscana

1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (I didn't use that much, lol)
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth
6 potatoes, thinly sliced (I used reds, and left skin on)
1 cup heavy cream (I used 1/2 and 1/2)
1/4 bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed (I used kale)

(I also blotted as much fat as I could from the sausage, so there wouldn't be a greasy layer of fat floating on the soup)

Super-Delicious Zuppa Toscana Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
I'm so glad you posted this recipe Cheryl, as I've been making it for a long time and it's good to have it here in our forum. It's such a delicious soup! I always use kale, and instead of potatoes I sometimes use a can or two of rinsed white beans.
YUMM YUMM YUMM!!!

Thanks!

I think I'll make a small batch with toucans of broth and no potatoes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

220px-Ramphastos_sulfuratus_-Spain_-Zoo_-upper_body-8a.jpg
220px-Ramphastos_sulfuratus_-Spain_-Zoo_-upper_body-8a.jpg

I've made this a bunch of times and it's so good. I always get it instead of salad at Olive Garden.

Yes, it definitely needs Kale, spinach isn't really right for it.

Kayelle I really like the idea of white beans instead of potatoes, I'll give that a shot!

You're welcome, everyone! :)

Yes, white beans would be a great replacement for the potatoes. Hadn't thought of that, I'll try it that way next time. Extra protein. :yum:

I've never been to an Olive Garden, but I hear that soup is really popular there. I can see why, it's delish!

Bea, I cut the recipe in half, too. Way too much for just one. :)

I'm so glad you posted this recipe Cheryl, as I've been making it for a long time and it's good to have it here in our forum. It's such a delicious soup! I always use kale, and instead of potatoes I sometimes use a can or two of rinsed white beans.
YUMM YUMM YUMM!!!

I love the beans idea instead of potatoes. Thanks.

Glad you liked it, Aunt Bea. :)

Now I'm craving it all over again! I'll try it with cannellini beans next time. :yum:

This is so good I have made it many times, I do like the kale better then the spinach, it holds up better. I have used potatoes and also cannellini beans with great success. The last time I made it , I forgot to buy the sausage, but I had some kielbasa in the freezer so I diced up some up and I try using a small gnocchi (premade pkg from store) . I thought it was very good also. it is a very versatile soup

I made another batch of this soup today, but with hot Italian sausage. Had a nice kick to it without being too hot. I used 2 slices of bacon (all I had), and the bacon flavor was kind of lost with the hot sausage. I used a half bunch of kale and 3 cans of cannellini beans. Also used BTB rather than canned broth, as well as half and half.

A pound of sausage is quite a bit. Next time I think I'll halve the sausage and increase the beans, and maybe increase the kale as well. With the hot sausage I think I can omit the bacon, as we don't have it in the house very often. That should make it a somewhat healthier soup.

Thanks for posting this, Cheryl. Good stuff!

Good tips there, tenspeed - I think I'll try hot Italian next time. I haven't made this in a while, thanks for the reminder! I'll also try it with the cannellini beans in place of potatoes, as you and a few others have mentioned. It definitely is a great soup - I need to make it while it's still winter. :)

I also make this Olive Garden knock off with kale and cannelini beans. Sometimes I serve it with knock off Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits and a salad with Olive Garden dressing (they sell it in cute little bottles with a jug handle at my OG). LOL

I also make this Olive Garden knock off with kale and cannelini beans. Sometimes I serve it with knock off Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits and a salad with Olive Garden dressing (they sell it in cute little bottles with a jug handle at my OG). LOL

I had this soup with my meal at Olive Garden not long ago, and I like mine better. The restaurant uses only potato with no cannelini beans. I like twice the amount of kale with a combo of sweet & hot sausage, and I have to have my bacon. :pig:;)

I had this soup with my meal at Olive Garden not long ago, and I like mine better. The restaurant uses only potato with no cannelini beans. I like twice the amount of kale with a combo of sweet & hot sausage, and I have to have my bacon. :pig:;)
I really don't like the meals very much at OG. So my meal is soup and salad. I use sweet sausage and crushed red pepper flakes, cannelini beans, bacon, kale and half and half or heavy cream.

It's a good thing this soup is so versatile. With a base of half and half (or heavy cream), red pepper flakes, garlic, bacon, any kind of sausage, and greens, how can it be anything but good? :yum: :LOL:

MsMofet, I was just thinking about Red Lobsters Cheddar Bay biscuits the other day. Those would be wonderful with this soup. Heading off to find a copycat recipe. :)

It's a good thing this soup is so versatile. With a base of half and half (or heavy cream), red pepper flakes, garlic, bacon, any kind of sausage, and greens, how can it be anything but good? :yum: :LOL:

MsMofet, I was just thinking about Red Lobsters Cheddar Bay biscuits the other day. Those would be wonderful with this soup. Heading off to find a copycat recipe. :)
Bisquik is the main ingredient in the copy cat. Butter, dry parsley and garlic salt to brush the tops after baking. Yummy. I want to try to make them with all fresh ingredients and a regular biscuit recipe one day. But the knock off is good.

Back
Top Bottom