Aleppo Pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance Bushrod

Senior Cook
We were in Seattle the other day and stopped at World Spice Merchants and noticed they stocked Aleppo Pepper. We have an Aleppo Jewish cookbook which some recipes call for this pepper so got a few ounces to try. It's spicy without being to hot like red pepper or cayenne and have been adding it to food at the table like I would black pepper and Piri Piri. I will get more next time in Seattle.

https://www.worldspice.com

I picked some up at a Penzey Spice store last year. I'm surprised how much I use it. It's not just spicy; it has flavor.

I started out just trying it in the typically suggested foods - potato salad (well, cauliflower salad for me) and deviled eggs, for example - but now use it more and more. I regularly use it in scrambled eggs, on grilled meats, and fish.

Last edited:
Exactly. I find I'm putting it on everything I'd normally use black pepper. Before I know it I'll be out and will order some more.

Don't say cumin, Steve! I love Aleppo pepper and can't stand cumin. :LOL:

To me, Aleppo pepper tastes a little sweet, with a little heat. Not peppery or tongue-biting at all. And I normally can't take anything with "hot". I use it on buttered corn, roasted carrots, add it to chili, all sorts of stuff.

Just for fun: back during the campaign season, when they would show the clip of Mike Barnicle on "Morning Joe" asking independent Gary Johnson "what is Aleppo?", all I could think of was the pepper. :ermm:

I havent seen Aleppo pepper here in my town since the war in Syria started. I wonder where yours in grown.

You learn something new everyday. I've never heard of Aleppo pepper before. I'm guessing that they look like black (or pink or white) peppercorns?

Don't say cumin, Steve! I love Aleppo pepper and can't stand cumin. [emoji38]

To me, Aleppo pepper tastes a little sweet, with a little heat. Not peppery or tongue-biting at all. And I normally can't take anything with "hot". I use it on buttered corn, roasted carrots, add it to chili, all sorts of stuff.

To me, the fruitiness is a more forward flavor in Aleppo pepper than the cumin.

Think I will add Aleppo pepper to my next Penzey's order. Sounds intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom