Anyone made flavored salts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyblueyes

Assistant Cook
I saw a segment on the Rachael Ray show where she was making flavored salts. She did a smoky paprika, chipolte chili, and season salt. She just gave a very basic recipe of xx amount salt to xx amount dried herb or ground herb. Not an exact recipe. These were used to season food after it was cooked.

I am thinking of making this for gifts for friends. I would like to make a chili lime salt (I found a recipe for that), a smoked salt (need to find a reicpe for) and one other one, just don't know what (maybe a seasoning salt?).

If you have made flavored salts, what flavors did you make? Any suggestions on flavors? Any tips I need to know/consider?

Thanks!

I saw that episode also and thought it was a great idea. The dragon salt sounds really intresting and reminds me of pickles a little bit. I have another question to add, does anyone have cute ideas to store these?

Michael's crafts stores sell small glass bottles...you could store the salt in those.

Cost Plus World Market also sells small glass shaker jars with screw top lids...when I bought them they were like 59 cents each! It is a great gift...one year I mixed up Emerils essence and included them in gift baskets and everyone LOVED them.

Infused sea salts

I hand-craft flavored sea salts in Seattle. I recommend buying a premium coarse, flakey sea salt for the base such as Fleur de Sel (from the Re Island of France that I use) or Sel Gris.

If you want to get even more creative, try a Soy salt with a reduced soy sauce and honey; then hand-sift it with coarse sea salt before dehydrating it.

You can take a peak at the other flavors that I infuse at:

Cheers,

Janna

Stephen Rachein's book "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" has a recipe for smoked salt. Basically you spread kosher salt on a cookie sheet and smoke it for a couple of hours. I use hickory and it does impart a flavor to the salt.

I make Emeril's Spice and the recipe is at the FoodNetwork Site. It is a very good general all purpose seasoning salt.

I hand-craft flavored sea salts in Seattle. I recommend buying a premium coarse, flakey sea salt for the base such as Fleur de Sel (from the Re Island of France that I use) or Sel Gris.

If you want to get even more creative, try a Soy salt with a reduced soy sauce and honey; then hand-sift it with coarse sea salt before dehydrating it.

You can take a peak at the other flavors that I infuse at:

Cheers,

Janna

Fleur de Sel is expensive, and it would be a waste to mix it with other spices. It is best used as a finishing salt. Diamond Kosher Salt or another sea salt would be a more economic alternative.

I make Emeril's Spice and the recipe is at the FoodNetwork Site. It is a very good general all purpose seasoning salt.

I love this particular seasoning and make it often. I also tweak this by making a double batch and taking some out to make a rub for grilled meats, and another little container for fish. I add hickory salt, ground chipotle, smoked paprika, brown sugar and a touch of curry for the rub. It makes a terrific rub and the sugar adds to the carmelization. I cut down on the salt in the original recipe for Emeril's Essence so I can add the hickory salt.

For the fish seasoning I add Old Bay, dill weed, lemon pepper and a little Mrs. Dash's Original. Brush butter on the fish, sprinkle with the fish seasoning and it's wonderful. If I saute the fish with a flour coating I add some fish seaoning to the flour. Really makes a difference. Try this on oven fried catfish.

I never thought about making seasoned salt, but what a great idea!!

I go through about $100 a month in spices, which are spices that I do not have dried from my garden this summer.

I purchase from Bulk Spices & Seasonings – Wholesale Spices, Herbs, Seasoning, Bulk Spice

I use a lot in my canning goods that I sell at local butcher shops, as well as different rubs also. I love the website and find the prices to be reasonable.

I have ordered from them, too, and I have been very satisfied with the quality and quantity of their spices.

Cost Plus World Market also sells small glass shaker jars with screw top lids...when I bought them they were like 59 cents each! It is a great gift...one year I mixed up Emerils essence and included them in gift baskets and everyone LOVED them.

I was just going to suggest these same jars ... we make vanilla sugar and our own general spice blend for family at the holidays. Tie a little ribbon or raffia around them and Viola!

Salt with Lemon and fresh Rosemary

I haven't done this in a while but if you mash lemon zest, fresh rosemary and course salt.... it's out of this world!

I've been looking for more combinations but haven't found too much. Would be great if people posted some that they have found

Back
Top Bottom