"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Anyone made flavored salts?

I saw a segment on the Rachael Ray show where she was making flavored salts. She did a smoky paprika, chipolte chili, and season salt. She just gave a very basic recipe of xx amount salt to xx amount dried herb or ground herb. Not an exact recipe. These were used to season food after it was cooked.

I am thinking of making this for gifts for friends. I would like to make a chili lime salt (I found a recipe for that), a smoked salt (need to find a reicpe for) and one other one, just don't know what (maybe a seasoning salt?).

If you have made flavored salts, what flavors did you make? Any suggestions on flavors? Any tips I need to know/consider?

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Master Chef

here's some ideas Seasoned Salt Recipes like Dragon Salt or Chinese Five Spice Seasoned Salt Recipes

Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I saw that episode also and thought it was a great idea. The dragon salt sounds really intresting and reminds me of pickles a little bit. I have another question to add, does anyone have cute ideas to store these?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Michael's crafts stores sell small glass bottles...you could store the salt in those.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Cost Plus World Market also sells small glass shaker jars with screw top lids...when I bought them they were like 59 cents each! It is a great gift...one year I mixed up Emerils essence and included them in gift baskets and everyone LOVED them.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Infused sea salts

I hand-craft flavored sea salts in Seattle. I recommend buying a premium coarse, flakey sea salt for the base such as Fleur de Sel (from the Re Island of France that I use) or Sel Gris.

If you want to get even more creative, try a Soy salt with a reduced soy sauce and honey; then hand-sift it with coarse sea salt before dehydrating it.

You can take a peak at the other flavors that I infuse at:

Cheers,

Janna
Old 12-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Cook

Stephen Rachein's book "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" has a recipe for smoked salt. Basically you spread kosher salt on a cookie sheet and smoke it for a couple of hours. I use hickory and it does impart a flavor to the salt.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I make Emeril's Spice and the recipe is at the FoodNetwork Site. It is a very good general all purpose seasoning salt.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mouth View Post
I hand-craft flavored sea salts in Seattle. I recommend buying a premium coarse, flakey sea salt for the base such as Fleur de Sel (from the Re Island of France that I use) or Sel Gris.

If you want to get even more creative, try a Soy salt with a reduced soy sauce and honey; then hand-sift it with coarse sea salt before dehydrating it.

You can take a peak at the other flavors that I infuse at:

Cheers,

Janna
Fleur de Sel is expensive, and it would be a waste to mix it with other spices. It is best used as a finishing salt. Diamond Kosher Salt or another sea salt would be a more economic alternative.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I use this one: Amazon.com: Terre Exotique Fleur De Sel From Madagascar with Grilled Spices 3.2 Oz: Gourmet Food

It's great on grilled steaks, chops, whatever. I grind it up in a pestle first, then use it as a rub.

Tags
None