Best way to store fresh cilantro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I just bought a bunch of fresh cilantro and thought it would be best to put the stems in a glass of water on the counter. Looks like some of them are starting to wilt. Should I be doing something differently?

I just bought a bunch of fresh cilantro and thought it would be best to put the stems in a glass of water on the counter. Looks like some of them are starting to wilt. Should I be doing something differently?

Trim the stems, they've had a chance to dry out, then put in the water. You may want to wrap them in a damp paper towel, the stems, and place in the fridge.

I always wash it, dry it well ( I like a salad spinner for this ) then wrap it in paper towels and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge. I usually get a good week out of it.

I bring them home, wash and trim the stems, then put them in a glass of water, covered with the produce bag I brought them home in. I keep that in the fridge, pulled loosely around the herb - I do this with cilantro and parsley. Trim the stems every day or two till the product is used up. Works great.

Thanks for your help everyone! Do you periodically add more water to the paper towels you wrap the stems in?

Yes, keep them damp.

A bunch of cilantro is too big for Shrek and I and he's not crazy about it anyway. I chop off the stems, put the fronds in a paper bag, fold closed and let it sit on the counter until dried. Store in a jar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom