Blue Ginger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spork

Head Chef
Once in a blue moon, I will discover that my newly purchased root is a blue ginger.

img_1044453_0_df0a315bdc2607118a73324774c11fac.jpg

It feels like I won the lottery. It's very different from regular ginger... not much fiber or moisture. Grated on a microplane, it comes out as a solid paste. Much less pungent in taste. A raw slice can even be eaten, the texture more like a root tuber. Aroma has a hint of smoke, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't have recipes that take advantage of it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh wow, I didn't even know there were two kinds! Mine isn't, I just sliced a hunk off the end to check! :chef:

I may be wrong, but I thought blue ginger was another name for galangal, a distant ginger relative of ginger that looks nothing like what you have.

I think you have a piece of ginger with a dark ring around the perimeter.

Every once in a while, I'll get a hand that will oxidize "blue" when peeled or sliced.

Craig

young ginger

I had never heard of galangal being referred as blue ginger, so I could be mistaken, too. I was simply taught to treat ginger that is marked with a blue ring differently. It can't be grated for its juice, for example.

Here's another type of ginger. It's called "young ginger," sometimes "spring." It, too, is different. For starters, its skin is edible. It's much more mild, virtually no fiber. Raw, its texture is more like a raw potato. Its gingerness creeps up from the back end of the palate. Grating yields a lot of liquid; a slice steeped in tea is one common use. This is also the ginger that is pickled into gari that is served as a palate cleanser at sushi restaurants.

I don't know if it is actually an immature ginger lily rhizome. I suspect instead that it comes out this way due to a different growing method, perhaps hydroponically. It might be hard to find, even at your local asian market. I don't use it often, so any suggestions for this type of ginger is also welcome.

img_1047431_0_89ffdfcaa810b35351463b23ba94bd18.jpg

We have blue ginger growing in our property in East Hawaii. It is called blue ginger because of the blue flowers it produces. The roots grow differently from your standard culinary ginger. Instead of the branching roots which we are familiar with from the market, the Blue ginger has tubers which are attached to the main root structure by thin filiments of root. The tubers in my patch are usually about the size of a golf ball, and I have found them to be as large as a fist. They are crunchy and mildly sweet when raw with a texture similar to water chestnut.

It isn't galangal, although galangal is sometimes referred to as blue ginger. The photo in the original post is a variety of ginger called "blue-ring ginger".

The first time I ran across it was at my local co-op. I bought some, not knowing it was a different variety than normal Chinese ginger. When I cut into it and saw that it was blue on the inside, I thought it was moldy and took it back to the store the next day. The produce manager explained that sometimes their supplier brings it in. It comes in labeled as ginger, and the only way to tell the difference (without cutting into it) is that the blue-ring variety tends to have more slender finders.

From what I understand, it's considered to be the best of the best, and it does seem to have a milder flavor. For juice or tea, I like the blue variety, but to be honest I prefer the regular stuff for cooking.

Back
Top Bottom