"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Caper jars, good call.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

You can shop Penzey's on line - https://www.penzeys.com/

Free shipping with $30 purchase. I usually have trouble keeping it down to JUST $30, LOL!

However some spices such as cumin, coriander, etc can be had much more cheaply and just as fresh at an Indian grocery, should you have one near you. Most mid-sized cities have at least one. Here's one online resource to find an Indian grocer near you:

India Grocery Stores in US, Indian Grocers in United States, USA, Video DVD Rentals, Desi Shop

Google for others.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I re-use spice jars. I also save small glass jars, like from Dijon and capers for herbs & spices.
I used to love saving baby food jars, but the new ones don't have screw on lids anymore. They have some weird plastic gasket and the lid basically presses on. I don't trust them! I was sooo sad when I bought some baby food recently just to get the jars and discovered this!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Penzey's sells empty jars, too: Spices at Penzeys Spices Glass Jars
Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Tho harder to buy now, I use those Ziplock quart vacuum bags, fill it with bulk spice or herbs and then vacuum seal it, and store it in the fridge.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I know all about Penzey's, I just don't use it up fast enough. Buying what I need a few weeks at a time works for me.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

If you have a Whole Foods near you check out their bulk herbs/ spices. Prices per pound may look like a lot $$, but you probably only need an ounce or less and then it's less than a dollar, and far less than jarred spices in the grocery aisle and far more fresher.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm a jar hoarder, save everything from mustard to caper jars. What I like about Penzey's packaging is that you can easily peel the labels off their package and attach it to whatever jar you might use.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I keep some of mine over a year without a noticeable flavor loss. When you buy in bulk to save on shipping you can only use them up so fast. Admittedly, the basil isn't what it used to be.

Sorry I can't help you out, Vit. Buying herbs and spices is always a task for me. I seem to get on a specific herb or spice kick and blow through the ones I should have bought more of while the others sit.

+ 1. Applies to me too. I buy most of my herbs and spices in Sam's club in those big containers, here is a picture of one of them: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mccormick-reg-ground-cinnamon-18-oz/155801.ip, using this just as an example. Some of the stuff I buy and use more, some has been seating on the shelf for a while. The stuff that I do not use a lot also means that I am not crazy about or simply not very accustom to it, so I do not notice the big difference from time to time I use it.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a few of those big jars of spices. The town grocer had some and they were very reasonable.
I'm using red pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes from probably four-five years ago and just starting to get down towards the bottom of the jar, but they all still taste fine to me. Nothing using a bit more wouldn't fix anyway.
That probably means when I get around to needing more cumin to go easy on it, as it will be stronger than I am used to.

Tags
herbs, other, spices