"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

North American Salt Company 's web site is still up. If you go to products/ culinary/ kosher salt it is listed in 16 and 48 oz size. No price. You might try one of their toll free telephone #'s on their contact page and find out price/ if it's the same type of salt you used to find in grocers, if they will sell direct or who carries it commericially for you.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteringToast View Post
A follow up of sorts:

Here we are almost 2 years later. I've still not found any place to order or buy the National Salt Co Kosher Salt. Every time I go out of town, I find myself checking out groceries!!! I kind of suspect they may have gone out of business or perhaps sold out to another company. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to have the details.

Alternatively, those of you that use Diamond Crystal or Davids, I'm curious if the salt grains are uniform or is there a variation (that I think it just great) from one crystal to the next. Thanks in advance.

Toast, I use Diamond Crystal. There is some variety in grain size but that's probably due to a variety of factors, including the grinding process and internal activity in the box during transportation, storage and use. I'd bet all makers aim for a uniform grain size to ensure consistency in volume measures. As it is, there is a distinct difference in measure between DC and Morton's. Morton's grain size is somewhere between DC and table salt so you have to know this to do a proper volume measure.

I like the fact that DC salt only has one ingredient. You know what it's going to taste like every time.

Tags
None