"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can you identify this brand of salt???

Cooking Blog The Perfect Baked Potato - What’s In My Pot

The salt box in the photograph is the brand we bought over and over. And, I guess, never noticed the brand name, just the 4 stars of david.

It was great. Salty, but not overly salty. Every grain was a different size so it was just great on any type of grilled or roasted food.

When the economy started to tank a couple of years ago, we noticed our local groceries pulling a lot of "choices" off the shelves leaving only the dominant brands. In this case, Mortons. Every grain is uniform and it tastes just like table salt. Just not the same.

If someone recognizes the brand, perhaps I could find it across the internet somewhere.... And I apologize if the post should have been placed somewhere else. Not attempting to hijack the thread, but we were talking about salt...

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef

North American Salt Company
Overland Park, Kansas 66210

Product of Canada

I have a box right here in my hand, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you where I bought it.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

I would contact the blog admin and the supermarket formerly carrying the brand you want. Either should have the info you require
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Morton's Kosher Salt is not the same as the Diamond Crystal that I prefer. I bought the blue box once when it was the only kind of kosher salt in the market. I threw it away. It has additives in it I don't want in my salt.

I'm not convinced it's any different than the regular Morton's salt.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I like David's Kosher salt...has very irregular flakes, all natural no additives. I've found it in NJ and DE, and order it by the case. I agree ChefJune, the Morton has anti caking additives and I don't want that. I can keep my salt dry. Diamond Crystal is good stuff, but the flakes in Davids are larger and less regular. If you find it, give it s try.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Many thanks. That's the brand. And I remember the name now... Of course...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Master Chef

I also like Diamond Crystal, but grocery stores around here stopped carrying it. Sadly I called and e-mailed the manufacturer to find where I can get it and they have not even bother to respond.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I've seen several places to order Diamond Crystal. Just google it! Now to find me some National Salt Co. Kosher Salt.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteringToast View Post
I've seen several places to order Diamond Crystal. Just google it! Now to find me some National Salt Co. Kosher Salt.
+1 Amazon.com: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, 3lb: Taylor's Market
Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

A follow up of sorts:

Here we are almost 2 years later. I've still not found any place to order or buy the National Salt Co Kosher Salt. Every time I go out of town, I find myself checking out groceries!!! I kind of suspect they may have gone out of business or perhaps sold out to another company. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to have the details.

Alternatively, those of you that use Diamond Crystal or Davids, I'm curious if the salt grains are uniform or is there a variation (that I think it just great) from one crystal to the next. Thanks in advance.

Tags
None