Capers, how to use in other dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: SLoB!

I have 24 ounces of smoked salmon I bought at Costco. I pulled out the box and stared at it. DH thinks I shouldn't open it yet, it's good until 2020 unless opened. My feeling is to get a jar of capers, some cream cheese, and some bagels. Life is too short.

Dawg, up until I stared going low carb, bagels and lox was our every Sunday morning breakfast thanks to the SousChef.

He uses Sarah Lee's "everything" Bagels toasted in the toaster oven. He butters the bagel halves, then comes the soft cream cheese, evenly sprinkled with capers(see hint). On top of the capers is a few layers of salmon, paper thin sliced white onion, and a slice of tomato for the very top with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Oh my gosh, it's sooooo good!
Hint from me...put some capers on a saucer and smash the upside down cream cheesed bagel into the capers. :yum::yum:

Dawg, up until I stared going low carb, bagels and lox was our every Sunday morning breakfast thanks to the SousChef.

He uses Sarah Lee's "everything" Bagels toasted in the toaster oven. He butters the bagel halves, then comes the soft cream cheese, evenly sprinkled with capers(see hint). On top of the capers is a few layers of salmon, paper thin sliced white onion, and a slice of tomato for the very top with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Oh my gosh, it's sooooo good!
Hint from me...put some capers on a saucer and smash the upside down cream cheesed bagel into the capers. :yum::yum:

Kayelle, you can still have the bagel toppings, just wrap in a lettuce leaf...yum!

Lot's of great suggestions here. :yum:

My only suggestion is to try them on a pizza. :chef:

A mushroom, onion, and caper pie is rather tasty. ;)

I like them on liverwurst with onions. I make liverwurst-onion-caper sandwiches using two keaves of romaine lettuce instead of bread.

Capers - how to use them

There are many Italian recipes that use capers - they are very popular, particularly in southern Italy. Here is a recipe for a very well-known dish called 'Caponata' and it comes from Sicily:

500g plump tender aubergines 1/2 wine glass of best quality olive oil, more if necessary, 100g sliced white onions, 500g tomato passata, preferably home made, 150g stoned green olives, 200g celery hearts, cut into chunks and blanched for a few minutes, 2 spoonsful salted capers, rinsed and drained dry, 1 dl best quality white wine vinegar, with 25g white sugar dissolved in it, a good scattering of pine nuts. Salt and pepper.

Cut the aubergine flesh into medium sized chunks, salt and a couple of spoonsful of water. Leave for half an hour. Rinse in fresh water for a few minutes, then drain and dry thoroughly with kitchen towel.
Put half the olive oil into a skillet and heat until almost smoking, then add the pieces of aubergine, season lightly with salt and pepper, fry until golden and then drain on kitchen paper. Put the oil used for cooking the aubergines and the rest of whatever unused oil is left in the glass, then add the onions and cook until transparent but not browned. Add the celery and the olives and stir in well, then add the tomato passata. Adjust for seasoning. Add the capers and pine nuts, and continue continue with the lid on until the celery is cooked through - about 15 mins. Then remove from the heat and allow to get completely cold before serving.Add some fresh basil if you wish. This is a magical dish for a very hot day under the Sicilian sun! Buon appetito.

A twist on this recipe would be to use the caponata as a sauce in which to cook white fish fillets such as cod, in which case you would add some chopped parsley as well as the sweet basil. This would be eaten hot.

Di reston:yum:

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom