Capers, how to use in other dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I recently had an excellent chicken dish at a restaurant that used capers in the sauce on the chicken. It was the first time I had capers that I knew what they were and could taste them by themselves. I found I really enjoyed the flavor. My conundrum is that I'm not sure how to incorporate them into my home cooking. Where and how do you use capers?

With smoked salmon, cream cheese, and a bit of finely minced onion. :yum:

^ Some great recipes there Kayelle.
icon_thumleft.gif
(A few I might try!)

I see there is a recipe for caper remoulade there, which is similar to Tartare sauce (mayo with variations of finely chopped capers, gherkins, shallots, parsley and possibly olives mixed into it) - good with fish.

Last edited:
Not sure what chicken dish you enjoyed at the restaurant but one of our favorites is chicken piccata. A wonderful way to prepare pounded chicken breasts. I know I use capers in other dishes but nothing comes to mind right now. I always have a bottle of capers on hand. Tasty little morsels.

capers, yum.
with tuna
with tartar sauce
with salmon,
everyone mentioned all those things and thank you for mentioning them.
My mouth waters just hearing them.

They are a nice addition to lots of sauces and salad dressings, especially creamy ones. They are also a nice addition to tossed salads.

We use them in chicken marsala. We are going to have porchetta sandwiches, after we finish moving, which calls for a lemon, caper aioli. We use them in piccadillo as well. I also use them in the tuna salad I make for myself. Just remember to rinse them well!;)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I can see me adding them to tarter sauce since I usually make my own anyway. I can also see using them in chicken and tuna salads. I'll need to pick some up next time I'm in the store. Thanks for the links too. I haven't had the time to really peruse them well so am looking forward to that soon.

I recently had an excellent chicken dish at a restaurant that used capers in the sauce on the chicken. It was the first time I had capers that I knew what they were and could taste them by themselves. I found I really enjoyed the flavor. My conundrum is that I'm not sure how to incorporate them into my home cooking. Where and how do you use capers?
Capers are an ingredient in Tartare sauce to eat with fish.

With smoked salmon, cream cheese, and a bit of finely minced onion. :yum:

And put it all on top of a toasted bagel. You can even use sliced Bermuda or red onion and sliced tomato if that should please you. The Marriott on Lung Gyland calls it Lox, Stock and Bagels

And put it all on top of a toasted bagel. You can even use sliced Bermuda or red onion and sliced tomato if that should please you. The Marriott on Lung Gyland calls it Lox, Stock and Bagels

:LOL: SLoB!

I have 24 ounces of smoked salmon I bought at Costco. I pulled out the box and stared at it. DH thinks I shouldn't open it yet, it's good until 2020 unless opened. My feeling is to get a jar of capers, some cream cheese, and some bagels. Life is too short.

:LOL: SLoB!

I have 24 ounces of smoked salmon I bought at Costco. I pulled out the box and stared at it. DH thinks I shouldn't open it yet, it's good until 2020 unless opened. My feeling is to get a jar of capers, some cream cheese, and some bagels. Life is too short.
Don't forget that you can portion that up and freeze the portions.

Back
Top Bottom