"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Chili Powder Went Flat!!

I had made a huge pot of Chili Dogs.

My version of chili dogs is hot dogs sliced up and cooked in a pot of chili.

I made it as usual this time, but the hot dogs didn't pick up the chili flavor that makes it taste so good.

I used up the last of my chili powder making this batch, so I picked up a new jar and added some to my pot of chili dogs.

Once heated through and bubbled a little while, my chili dogs finally tasted the way it should.

After all these years of using chili powder, I never knew it to lose it's potency. Maybe because I tended to use it up sooner.

I'm happy I learned that. The new bottle of chili powder only cost 88.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

I made it as usual this time, but the hot dogs didn't pick up the chili flavor that makes it taste so good.

I used up the last of my chili powder making this batch, so I picked up a new jar and added some to my pot of chili dogs.

Once heated through and bubbled a little while, my chili dogs finally tasted the way it should.

After all these years of using chili powder, I never knew it to lose it's potency. Maybe because I tended to use it up sooner.

Keep the new jar from light. It will rob it of its heat faster than anything else. Most folks use "only a pinch" of the chili powder. As a result it ages and loses its heat.

A lot of folks just don't realize that your spices and herbs can lose their potency if not used up. Look to see if there is an expiration date on your new jar.

Hot dogs are a good way to get protein into you. And somewhat inexpensive. When you are on a tight food budget, you always have to look for what tastes good and not too expensive. Pensy's and other spice houses have great products. But not everyone can afford it. So those 88 cent jars are often a life saver for a lot of folks. The Pirate loves to use garlic salt on his food. I bought one of those 88 cent jars and it is already half gone. Would his food taste better with the more expensive one? Probably, but he hasn't complained about the one I bought for him.

Hot dog chili sounds good. I haven't made chili in eons. Sounds like a good idea. Spike makes it all the time for himself. He like to use the Ro-Tel tomatoes as a start. I think I will ask him to bring me a small bowl of it the next time he makes it.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

I had a similar chili failure a couple of weeks ago. I used an envelope of Old El Paso Taco seasoning that I found cowering in the back of the cupboard, big mistake.

I'm gonna give those chili dogs a try!
Old 11-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I had a similar chili failure a couple of weeks ago. I used an envelope of Old El Paso Taco seasoning that I found cowering in the back of the cupboard, big mistake.

I'm gonna give those chili dogs a try!
I have done that also. Only when I found mine, I had the good sense to toss it out. I don't know how it manage to travel from house to house as I moved over the years. But the expiration date was from the 90's.

Sometimes I like to stock up on those packets of gravy, and sauces. But that chili packet taught me not to do that anymore. I don't use them that often. In fact I forget that I even have them.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Keep the new jar from light. It will rob it of its heat faster than anything else. Most folks use "only a pinch" of the chili powder. As a result it ages and loses its heat.

A lot of folks just don't realize that your spices and herbs can lose their potency if not used up. Look to see if there is an expiration date on your new jar.

Hot dogs are a good way to get protein into you. And somewhat inexpensive. When you are on a tight food budget, you always have to look for what tastes good and not too expensive. Pensy's and other spice houses have great products. But not everyone can afford it. So those 88 cent jars are often a life saver for a lot of folks. The Pirate loves to use garlic salt on his food. I bought one of those 88 cent jars and it is already half gone. Would his food taste better with the more expensive one? Probably, but he hasn't complained about the one I bought for him.

Hot dog chili sounds good. I haven't made chili in eons. Sounds like a good idea. Spike makes it all the time for himself. He like to use the Ro-Tel tomatoes as a start. I think I will ask him to bring me a small bowl of it the next time he makes it.
Get a jar of garlic powder, and give him a salt shaker. The powder without the salt will last much longer. Usually this is available right next to the garlic salt and the price is the same.

I LOVE garlic, so garlic salt wouldn't work for me. By the time I have enough garlic on my food, it would be ruined by too much salt!

I also use onion powder instead of onion salt for the same reason.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I keep all spices in the fridge. We buy large containers at Costco.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't have anywhere near that much room available in my fridge! I do have a dedicated cabinet next to the stove and nice bamboo "steps" type of racks. I can't usually see the labels of the higher racks, but I'm obsessive enough to keep certain spices in the same place.

My most used spices are at eye level where I often stand and muse over which ones to use in whatever dish I'm making at the time.

There are doors on the cabinet and so at least they are kept at room temperature and in the dark.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Master Chef

Another good source for inexpensive spices are found in the grocery stores in clear cellophane packets hanging on display racks. Even normally very expensive sesame seeds can be found there at a fraction of the cost at the normal spice section of the store. All the spices are around a dollar, and can fill your empty spice jars. I'm amazed at the variety of spices that can be found there.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Walmart has a few of the basic spices like the 88 ones which often are as low as 50.

Save-A-Lot too, including more spices like oregano, basil, Lemon Pepper.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Head Chef

When I buy the larger containers of spices I transfer some to a smaller use jar and then vacuum seal the rest. Seems to help them last longer.

And the best way to keep your chili powder fresh is to make more chili.

Tags
chili powder