"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 09-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
Master Chef

Me too. My best cilantro story was that I couldn't get the stuff to grow in my garden in Florida (previous assignment was Hawaii, where I could grow it all the time). I tried and tried, but all it did was bolt. My husband was mowing the lawn one day and said, isn't this an herb? Took me to the middle of the yard and sure as heck, it was a cilantro plant. He asked what to do about it, and we decided I'd clip what I needed before he mowed, and he'd mow over it. I think we got a couple of years out of it. Here it "volunteered" after a very harsh winter. That's a bit strange. I think cilantro has its own personality and does what it wants. But, for me, a fresh salsa or a Thai or Vietnamese meal isn't right without it.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I love cilantro! Pico de gallo, omellettes, and anything that has lime in it (other than desert)

Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Here is the Afghan/Indian cilantro chutney recipe.

8oz Cilantro leaves
2 to 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 to 6 fresh green chilies, depending on heat and heat tolerance
Juice of 2 limes (start off with juice of 1 lime) May use vinegar instead.
4 fresh mint leaves
1 tbl spn olive oil
Water
2 tbl spns walnuts, chopped
Salt to taste

Place all ingredients in the blender. Add just enough water to allow the ingredients to move in the blender. Grind to a medium smooth paste. Add salt to taste, adjust lime juice content to suit your taste. Allow to stand for at least 1 hour before serving.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
Head Chef

Oh, add me to the list of cilantro-lovers. Sometimes, I can be found in the produce section of the grocery store, standing in front of the heap of cilantro, just breathing in the wonderful fragrance....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I too, chop my cilantro up and put it in salads. I make an avocado and grapefruit salad with lots of cilantro. YUM
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Sounds good. Sometimes when I can't find my favorite salsa, and can't make my own (can't buy it fresh here, as I could in California), I will add cilantro to jarred salsa. It gives it a little more of a fresh taste.

Barbara
Ditto!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #17
Master Chef

I amoro cilantra...........desayfortunado....el esposo does not like it....I could "keel "him..............how can you not like it...............what is wrong with him..............forgive the language..........but how can you not like cilantro........this man will eat the most disgusting culinay stuff but not cilantro..........how can you eat squid in its own ink and not cilantro........ ok I've raved enough...........I'm finished...........:):) sorry.......
Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Ok...I love cilantro as much as the next gal/guy...but cilantro poetry??? Seriously!!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

So in other words cilantro does have a flavor?
I bought some for some pico. I've used it a few times in different things. The other night when I was chopping some I picked some up, smelled it and ate it. And I was thinking of starting a thread in the spice section asking if it actually had any flavor or scent, or is it merely a garnish, because I didn't notice anything.
Or does it need "coupled" with something else, such as lime (I read lime several times), to bring out any flavor? It ceratinly isn't rosemary or thyme, two other fresh spices I purchased at the same time...
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #20
Master Chef

Oh for heavens sake - YES Cilantro does have A FLAVOR!!! A VERY pronounced & distinctive scent & flavor. I would have thought you, Pacanis, would have known better.

I don't know what you bought, but if it didn't have a lively pungent scent & flavor, than it WASN'T CILANTRO!!

Italian flat-leaf parsley has frequently been taken for Cilantro at the checkout counter. I can only hope that's what happened to you. There's absolutely NO mistaking Cilantro for any other herb. It absolutely does NOT need to be COUPLED with anything else to bring out its flavor.

I'm thinking you need to start shopping at better stores.

Tags
None