"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Huh. OK, I'll certainly take your word for it.
BTW, it was in a plastic container marked "cilantro", so I'm pretty sure it was the herb I was paying for. Those three spices were my first ever experience with fresh herbs. I used the rosemary last night and that was fine, all smelly and tasty, but the nachos I made the other night that I used some fresh made pico for..... the cilantro definitely was like chewing on a blade of grass. It had me thinking I should stick with dried spices.....

Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

It is possible your cilantro was mislabeled pacanis. It looks almost exactly like flat leaf parsley which could have very little flavor sometimes.

Cilantro has a very strong flavor. It is one of the most powerful herbs IMO.

I am a cilantro lover. It is my favorite herb bar none.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll pick up a different brand next time. I saw one of the stores I shop had a different brand.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #24
Head Chef

ExPat girl - I have read that, for some people, cilantro tastes like soap. In fact, a quick Google, and I found an entire website devoted to the hatred of cilantro!
I Hate Cilantro - an anti cilantro community Who knew?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Cilantro is definitely an acquired taste. I started out with small amounts in fresh salsa. I like it now in salsa and guacamole but haven't had it in anything else yet.

Barbara
Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #26
Head Chef

Yep, I'm a cilantro-hater. Can't eat the stuff. Tastes exactly like chewing plastic, on my taste buds.

Can't eat papaya, either. Tastes like turpentine to me.

Lee
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Yep, I'm a cilantro-hater. Can't eat the stuff. Tastes exactly like chewing plastic, on my taste buds.

Can't eat papaya, either. Tastes like turpentine to me.

Lee
Did someone say, gin?
I can't belive I used to drink the stuff when I smell it.
Still looking for some not-so-bland cilantro when I get out again.... just to see if I like it or not.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I don't generally think of cilantro as an acquired taste, more as something that some small percentage of people just don't like. They seem to "taste it wrong". The description I hear most often from these people is "it tastes like soap".

Note to Pacanis (and any others new to cooking with cilantro): I tend to think of cilantro's flavor as "fresh", and really as more of an aromatic. Used properly, it can give a whole dish a very garden fresh flavor. Things it pairs well with include lime (which also helps with the "fresh effect") and chili peppers. Cuisines that use cilantro include Thai, Mexican, Vietnamese and (East) Indian.

When cooking with cilantro the most commonly used part is the leaves. Try to add them at the very end of the cooking process, saving some to add as a garnish. To get the flavor cooked into a dish, the best way is to use the last half inch or so of stems and the first half inch or so of roots, smashed with the flat of a knife and minced. Unfortunately, not many stores sell cilantro with any roots attached. If you can't find cilantro with roots, just smash, mince and cook with the last inch or so of stem.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Maybe it was just me (and a few friends). lol I like it much better now than I used to. It just took me awhile to get used to it at first.

Speaking of tasting like soap, that is how I feel about raspberries. I can eat them in some things, but most raspberry flavored things taste like soap to me.

Barbara
Old 11-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I suppose we'll have to wait around to hear if others have had similar experience to yours. For me, I've liked it since first taste.

Looking around the anti-cilantro site that MexicoKaren linked, I see that the soapy description seems to be a common theme among the complaints, and that they suspect it (dislike of cilantro) is a hereditary trait.

Tags
None