Cilantro, I love you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll heed your advice, but like a lot of people here, I can't justify a trip to the grocery store just to pick up a bunch of cilantro whenever I feel like having some. That's probably the main reason I have stayed away from the fresh spice area in the produce section. I need my produce to have some kind of shelf life.

Frankly, I don't understand any of this. I've been buying fresh Cilantro for years now & simply keep it in the crisper drawer of the fridge where it remains perfectly fine - & POTENT - for well over a week. Have absolutely no idea why some of you have such problems keeping it.

I'll heed your advice, but like a lot of people here, I can't justify a trip to the grocery store just to pick up a bunch of cilantro whenever I feel like having some. That's probably the main reason I have stayed away from the fresh spice area in the produce section. I need my produce to have some kind of shelf life.

PAC... I buy it at the local farmers market, I store it in the bag it comes in and put it in the crisper drawer and it keeps for up to a week. No flavor loss. Then when I am done using it for whatever... I make that cilantro sauce I love soooo much!

Love the stuff... I was wary of it at first as I never had it growing up... discovered it in all the Mexican and Asian foodin TX.

I especially love to make pesto with it. I do this if I have a bunch leftover that I am afraid will go on me.. the above posted sauce would work too... and looks great

and pacanis its true it is a bit more frail than parsley... especially because it is hard to find fresh cilantro in nice shape I see alot of miserable looking cilantro in the supermarkets.... sadly I had no luck growing the stuff either

Tough to grow huh? I was thinking of searching through here and seeing if anyone grows their own spices year round... I wouldn't know bad cilantro if I saw it. Everything looks good sprayed with water and under grocery store lighting. And I don't get to the store every week, so, err... "growing my own" may be a good way to go. It's worked in the past :angel:
:LOL:

I have had mixed results growing cilantro. This year I had it all summer long. It was great. Other years I have gotten a week or two out of it and that is it. I find it very difficult to grow, but I will continue to try each year.

Do you have a link handy, GB? You grow it inside, right?
Wasn't there a hydroponics thread somewhere? was that about spices?
I'll go look....

Sorry, I don't have a link. I just grow it by the seat of my pants. I can't grow anything inside. My cat would eat it all. I grow my cilantro outside in the summer in a pot.

I found the link I was looking for, a combination of discussing hydroponics and Aero Grow (something like that). And whether or not dill weed grows well enough to eat bowling balls :rolleyes:
I think if I (or anyone) could find a semi-easy way to grow indoor spices, that would be perfect. Who cares if something that doesn't cost anything (after the initial investment) goes bad, but drive 30 miles round trip to buy a $0.69 bunch of fresh herb, where you use some and the rest rots in your fridge before you need it.... Well.... that's what dried spices are for I guess.

I'm in Tampa, FL and I've been growing basil, Italian flat and curly parsley, chives, rosemary and dill for quite a while. I bought cilantro plants twice -- the first time a cilantro-loving armadillo ate the whole darn plant and didn't bother any of the others. The second time it just withered and died. I'm having trouble with basil plants now, too.

I do love being able to go out the door and pick fresh herbs from the garden.

I agree - dried herbs just don't compare to fresh.

I love chopping fresh cilandro or coriander leaves and put in a a mixer with yoghurt to make a smooth cream,I add some curry powder and dry bay leaves,plus one spoon of olive oil just to assemble all the ingredients,then I pour the cream on stuffed breast chiken,almost in summer time when the weather is too warm and I am not keen on cooking for a long time,nevertheless I'd like to eat it even now in winter time...it's snowing a lot !!!!

I like Cilantro in moderation. Love it in fresh salsa and Latin Sofrito and other Latin dishes. Italian Parsley is my favorite green herb.

IIR coriander is the seed of the cilantro plant? How different is the taste?
The taste is very different though I am at a loss for a description coriander is spicier tasting and cilantro is fresher and greener tasting, sorta kinda Some say that cilantro tastes like soap, it is a love me hate me thing.
C

The taste is very different though I am at a loss for a description coriander is spicier tasting and cilantro is fresher and greener tasting, sorta kinda Some say that cilantro tastes like soap, it is a love me hate me thing.
C
I've definitely heard the "soap" description but I don't find that it tastes that way at all. I love cilantro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom