Cinnamon sticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
I did not know that there where different types of cinnamon. It is almost impossible to buy caylon cinnamon i norway. I have found one place that have ceylon but it is only 2-3 tbsp and I love cinnamon so I use a lot..

Does anyone know how I can ground cinnamon? Because I have found ceylon cinnamon sticks. Should it be roasted first and then in the food prosessor or what?

Cinnamon sticks are curled shavings of bark from a tree. In order to turn them into powdered cinnamon... now you're talking about wood working tools, such as sanders! :LOL:

And NO, I wouldn't use a sander.

I doubt Norway has Whole Foods MW.

I would chop the sticks up as small as I could with a knife or use a mortar and pestle, then grind it into a fine powder using a coffee grinder.

Oh .... IIRC, they are celebrating th eir 30th or 40th birthday; maybe they will expand. Being that as it may, I'd go with GB's advice and if you do a lot of it, their grinder will be redundant anyway.

I did not know that there where different types of cinnamon. It is almost impossible to buy caylon cinnamon i norway. I have found one place that have ceylon but it is only 2-3 tbsp and I love cinnamon so I use a lot..

Does anyone know how I can ground cinnamon? Because I have found ceylon cinnamon sticks. Should it be roasted first and then in the food prosessor or what?
I grind cinnamon sticks in a mortar and pestle in very small quantities. There is so much difference in the taste that it is worth it. Same with cloves

Thanks for all the tips on internett shops! One of them can ship to norway so I have sent them an email and asked for shipping price :)

You should be able to grate it with a fine grater, like you would use to grate whole nutmeg.

You should be able to grate it with a fine grater, like you would use to grate whole nutmeg.
I tried, but it still wasn't fine enough. I would definitely buy a coffee grinder, but not one with those rotating blades which most people have. You need a 'burr grinder' (which has a grinder wheel).

Back
Top Bottom