"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
Master Chef

I agree with those who say rosemary can be a difficult one to cook with. Plus, what I don't think anyone mentioned (I skimmed the answers but didn't read in any depth), it also is pretty tough if not cooked long. You don't want your guests to have to pick it out of their teeth. I grow it a lot, but am more inclined to use it in marinades and long-cooking dishes, and then I throw a branch in, then take it out when I like the flavor of what I'm cooking. It is also good to stuff a branch in a whole bird before roasting it. It sounds like you did it just right.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #22
Master Chef

I love rosemary with squash.....if I can find the fresh I like to use it.......it takes extra time but I just run my fingers from the top to the bottom of the leaves so that they fall off the stem and then chop very fine........a little bit goes a long way.......if I use the dried leaves I put a bit between my palms and rub very hard over whatever I'm making (I do this with all dried herbs in fact as it releases the essential oils) Try it........dried rosemary leaves (not powdered) I've quit using because of how dry it is and

Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #23
Master Chef

ok, jetlag and little sleep made that a bit dodgy........I like pulverized dried rosemary and rub it betw. my palms........I've quit using the dried leaves as they are so difficult to become tender.......sorry........I go for a medical test today and I'm nervous and writing like a lunatic........don't shy away from using rosemary, though, it's a wonderful herb though be careful about not overdoing it........
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
Master Chef

Yes - I too no longer use dried Rosemary except for the powdered type once in awhile if absolutely necessary. Regardless of how long you cook it those dried leaves remain like needles. Very unappetizing. Fresh is the only way I've used it for years now.

Tags
None