"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
jennyema and Andy M.
Perhaps my posting wasn't clear enough, I didn't claim neither suggest that certain salt brand has less Sodium per specific weight.
However, since the established practice is to measure salt servings by volume, not by weight, IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHICH BRAND YOU USE. The brands with less Sodium content by serving may require more use to achieve the same taste effect as other ones with higher content, but I consider this as an advantage because it is easier to me to add salt to a dish than find a way to reduce the amount of it...

I see your point and agree.

However, there is no need to seek out a different salt just so you can use the same measuring spoon. Use you usual salt and use a smaller measuring spoon.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I see your point and agree.

However, there is no need to seek out a different salt just so you can use the same measuring spoon. Use you usual salt and use a smaller measuring spoon.

That's what I tried to say a few posts back. You can use any salt and achieve exactly the level of seasoning you desire simply by adjusting the amount you use.

Most cooks use kosher salt or sea salt for their flavor and texture.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
Senior Cook

The regular grocery stores in my area carries

the Kosher salt but doesn't keep it with the rest of the salt. it is in the Kosher Foods section. You might find it there. If not ask to have it stocked.
The grocery stores are very responsive to customer requests. It may even end up being cheaper at a regular grocery store, you never know.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizannd View Post
the Kosher salt but doesn't keep it with the rest of the salt. it is in the Kosher Foods section. You might find it there. If not ask to have it stocked.
The grocery stores are very responsive to customer requests. It may even end up being cheaper at a regular grocery store, you never know.

Kosher salt isn't called that because it's kosher. It's called that because it's the type of salt used in the koshering process of meats.

I've never seen a supermarket that didn't carry it with the table salt/other salts.

Tags
None