"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

+1
Toast first, Then grind (for future reference - this lot is ground). Thanks. Will do.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
It's called Dhana Jeera and is a blend of the two ground spices. It's commonly used to flavor Indian vegetarian dishes, like daal (lentils), cauiliflower, potatoes, and green beans. You can also add a little to basmati rice to make a nice side dish.
Good information because I was about to order from Penzey's a spice called Kala Jeera. Might that be a similar product?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Good information because I was about to order from Penzey's a spice called Kala Jeera. Might that be a similar product?
Kala jeera is black cumin. Though it's related to brown cumin, the flavor is quite a bit different. I haven't found any uses for it outside of Indian cooking. And even in Indian cooking it's not used that much.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll

Kala jeera is black cumin. Though it's related to brown cumin, the flavor is quite a bit different. I haven't found any uses for it outside of Indian cooking. And even in Indian cooking it's not used that much.
Isn't that nigella seed? If so. It's great used as a seed on homemade bread and in potatoes!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Isn't that nigella seed?
oh yes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Isn't that nigella seed? If so. It's great used as a seed on homemade bread and in potatoes!
No, Kalonji is nigella seed, though they look similar. Kala Jeera is related to parsley.

Photos of the two spices
Kala Jeera
Kalonji
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

Cumin and coriander are two different spices/herbs. Where it gets confusing is that coriander and cilantro are from the same plant. As a general rule, cilantro, also known as Chinese parsley, is the green part, coriander is the ground seeds the former an herb,the latter a spice). Cumin is another plant entirely.

I like cumin particularly for Mexican dishes. It gives the distinctive flavor without any heat.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I use cumin and coriander together when I make my favorite sweet bbq sauce. It is good with chicken or pork. It is the standard ketchup based sauce but with those two spices and the tang from the apple cidre vinegar it is a great sauce for coating or dipping...I can give you a recipe if you want...

I also add it to fajita meat with mexican chili powder....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Cumin and coriander are two different spices/herbs. Where it gets confusing is that coriander and cilantro are from the same plant. As a general rule, cilantro, also known as Chinese parsley, is the green part, coriander is the ground seeds the former an herb,the latter a spice). Cumin is another plant entirely.

I like cumin particularly for Mexican dishes. It gives the distinctive flavor without any heat.
^
^
^
^
^
What she said

While on the subject of toasting, this spice blend {most of them really} is fat soluble and can be toasted as well. You can heat oil in a pan and "toast" the desired amount for 30 seconds or so before adding any aromatics or other solids to the pan.
And these types of spices are best if stored in the freezer.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
I use cumin and coriander together when I make my favorite sweet bbq sauce. It is good with chicken or pork. It is the standard ketchup based sauce but with those two spices and the tang from the apple cidre vinegar it is a great sauce for coating or dipping...I can give you a recipe if you want...

I also add it to fajita meat with mexican chili powder....
I Would LOVE this recipe. Thank you.

Tags
None