Differentiate & uses for Coriander/Cumin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire said:
Cumin and coriander are two different spices/herbs. Where it gets confusing is that coriander and cilantro are from the same plant. As a general rule, cilantro, also known as Chinese parsley, is the green part, coriander is the ground seeds the former an herb,the latter a spice). Cumin is another plant entirely.

I like cumin particularly for Mexican dishes. It gives the distinctive flavor without any heat.

This is a very good explanation of the difference. Thank you for taking the time to share that.

It adds a nice touch to bread. Sprinkle some in when making the bread dough. Or else, sprinkle it on top of the bread before baking. :)

I Would LOVE this recipe. Thank you.
2 cups Ketchup
1/4 cup Worchestershire Sauce
1/4 cup apple cidre vinegar
1/4 cup of water or beer, or white wine, or fruit juice, or burbon, or rum(whatever you would like to add)
1 tblsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tblsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground corriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
Fresh black pepper
couple of dashes of liquid smoke(optional)

Add all ingredients to pot and simmer for 15 minutes, stir often being careful not to burn on bottom. Keeps in refrigerator for a week or two...

Last edited:
A big THANK YOU! It's getting to be grilling weather already, and I am excited to try this.:)

2 cups Ketchup
1/4 cup Worchestershire Sauce
1/4 cup apple cidre vinegar
1/4 cup of water or beer, or white wine, or fruit juice, or burbon, or rum(whatever you would like to add)
1 tblsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tblsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground corriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
Fresh black pepper
couple of dashes of liquid smoke(optional)

Add all ingredients to pot and simmer for 15 minutes, stir often being careful not to burn on bottom. Keeps in refrigerator for a week or two...
This sauce sounds great, but I hate ketchup... substitute the ketchup for a strong BBQ sauce and be sure to include a good amber ale beer for liquid. This will turn out amazing!!!:chef:

Fair enough. But IMHO, after you add all of the ingredients to the ketchup base, the finished product is basically a strong bbq sauce. Especially if you add the liquid smoke....:yum:
You're right, it is. And I have been known to use ketchup in my own sauces, in small quantities.

Your recipe truly does sound delicious. Don't worry about me, my problem is all in my head. I always seem to taste the darn ketchup, like the kid that claims they can taste the well-hidden veggies in their meal :)

Back
Top Bottom