Differentiate & uses for Coriander/Cumin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
I just acquired a package from an Indian grocery. It smells so good. Can someone tell me any difference (why 2 names)? Also, how is this used?

Did you get leaves or seeds? Coriander is a plant. The seeds are usually called coriander and are a lovely spice. The leaves are usually often called cilantro. Other people call them coriander leaves or greens and they are also known as Chinese parsley.

You probably got it already ground. If not, the round seeds are coriander, the little seeds, cumin. I like to grind mine in a coffee grinder. Great stuff in Mexican and many other ethnic dishes. Nice in chili.

Last edited:
if its two different seeds and not yet ground - toast it before you grind it! IMO it makes it much better

It's called Dhana Jeera and is a blend of the two ground spices. It's commonly used to flavor Indian vegetarian dishes, like daal (lentils), cauliflower, potatoes, and green beans. You can also add a little to basmati rice to make a nice side dish.

taxlady said:
Did you get leaves or seeds? Coriander is a plant. The seeds are usually called coriander and are a lovely spice. The leaves are usually often called cilantro. Other people call them coriander leaves or greens and they are also known as Chinese parsley.

Aha! I LUUUUUUUVVVV cilantro. That explains my immediate attraction to this.

Dawgluver said:
You probably got it already ground. If not, the round seeds are coriander, the little seeds, cumin. I like to grind mine in a coffee grinder. Great stuff in Mexican and many other ethnic dishes. Nice in chili.

Yes, it's a ground blend. Good in Mexican huh? That's another plus. I make something Mexican a couple times a week. Thanks.

Steve Kroll said:
It's called Dhana Jeera and is a blend of the two ground spices. It's commonly used to flavor Indian vegetarian dishes, like daal (lentils), cauiliflower, potatoes, and green beans. You can also add a little to basmati rice to make a nice side dish.

Good information because I was about to order from Penzey's a spice called Kala Jeera. Might that be a similar product?

Good information because I was about to order from Penzey's a spice called Kala Jeera. Might that be a similar product?

Kala jeera is black cumin. Though it's related to brown cumin, the flavor is quite a bit different. I haven't found any uses for it outside of Indian cooking. And even in Indian cooking it's not used that much.

Steve Kroll said:
Kala jeera is black cumin. Though it's related to brown cumin, the flavor is quite a bit different. I haven't found any uses for it outside of Indian cooking. And even in Indian cooking it's not used that much.

Isn't that nigella seed? If so. It's great used as a seed on homemade bread and in potatoes!

Cumin and coriander are two different spices/herbs. Where it gets confusing is that coriander and cilantro are from the same plant. As a general rule, cilantro, also known as Chinese parsley, is the green part, coriander is the ground seeds the former an herb,the latter a spice). Cumin is another plant entirely.

I like cumin particularly for Mexican dishes. It gives the distinctive flavor without any heat.

I use cumin and coriander together when I make my favorite sweet bbq sauce. It is good with chicken or pork. It is the standard ketchup based sauce but with those two spices and the tang from the apple cidre vinegar it is a great sauce for coating or dipping...I can give you a recipe if you want...

I also add it to fajita meat with mexican chili powder....

Last edited:
Cumin and coriander are two different spices/herbs. Where it gets confusing is that coriander and cilantro are from the same plant. As a general rule, cilantro, also known as Chinese parsley, is the green part, coriander is the ground seeds the former an herb,the latter a spice). Cumin is another plant entirely.

I like cumin particularly for Mexican dishes. It gives the distinctive flavor without any heat.

^
^
^
^
^
What she said

While on the subject of toasting, this spice blend {most of them really} is fat soluble and can be toasted as well. You can heat oil in a pan and "toast" the desired amount for 30 seconds or so before adding any aromatics or other solids to the pan.
And these types of spices are best if stored in the freezer.

Rocklobster said:
I use cumin and coriander together when I make my favorite sweet bbq sauce. It is good with chicken or pork. It is the standard ketchup based sauce but with those two spices and the tang from the apple cidre vinegar it is a great sauce for coating or dipping...I can give you a recipe if you want...

I also add it to fajita meat with mexican chili powder....

I Would LOVE this recipe. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom