"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Wine Guy

No.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Honey Badger

Absolutely do.

Having high blood pressure I have no choice but to watch any and all salt intake.
I cook from scratch, no processed food. If I do add salt it's usually Kosher or Sea salt. It's only at the end. I prefer to try other means depending on what I'm cooking for a substitute for salt. Most times just a dab of bacon grease does the trick. Let the meat and veggies work together for some kind of balance.

Munky.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Head Chef

Newp, because I don't buy enough packaged food for it to even be a concern.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Absolutely, my blood pressure rises and falls greatly depending on my salt intake. I prefer to add my own salt (sea salt or kosher salt) and manage my intake better. If I do buy processed foods, like canned soups to haul to work, I get the "no salt added" which usually have 70-100 mg of naturally occurring sodium.

I am actually a salt connoisseur, I have multiple small containers that I carry with me with different types of Sea Salt; I pick and choose which I would like on my unsalted foods. I just purchased 0.2 pounds of Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt, it is great on steamed veggies.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

until my dad passed away three years ago, i was as good a watchdog as i could be, monitoring sodium and fat in the foods we consumed as a family, relying on just my "common sense" and reading nutrition labels of suspect foods. dad wa a heart patient with high blood pressure and cholesterol. he died from none of these conditions. but i became nutritionally lazy and indifferent after his passing, and have remained so to this day....

so, here i am. the following salt crimes are my own doing, and entirely my responsibility:

me, greedily licking the salty/limy rim of my margarita glass. all the way around...

me, eating a blt, piled high with 6-8 bacon slices, (with a few extra on the side)....

me, digging into a commercial pizza with pepperoni and XXX-tra cheeezz....

me, lovin' my reuben on rye, heaped with corned beef or pastrami, cheese, sauerkraut and 1000 island dressing, + a barrel pickle....

but here's what i'm responsible for too, totally out of ignorance, but still:

fresh meats--(chicken, beef and pork) "enhanced" with salty broth--processed--to the tune of hundreds of mgs. of sodium, apparently to make the product moister and heavier. as in weighing more....

store bought rolls and bread--100-400 mgs. sodium per slice or serving. who knew bread was so salty?

cereal--my evening snack of cornflakes has over 400mgs. sodium--i didn't even look there. salty corn flakes?! yup....

we all know about processed luncheon meats, canned soups, canned everything. but there are many not-so-obvious places where sodium is hiding--in plain sight.
milk, mayo, baking powder and soda and on and on...with 70% or more sodium already in the foods we consume--before we ever pick up a salt shaker, (internet source) i think we need to have better information about what is and isn't in the foods we eat every day of our lives....
Old 11-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I know Vit...I was very careful about my salt intake before I was diagnosed with High Blood pressure, I got very discouraged when I received my diagnosis...if I got it anyway, then why bother paying attention. Same with the diabetes. I can't fight my genetics, all I can do is my best to control the highs and lows. It really doesn't help that I have developed a sweet tooth after I quit smoking...
Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

yes, i read labels for sodium as well as fat and cholesterol.

you really don't want to look at the sodium content in those asian instant noodle bowls. at first glance, it looks like there merely %52 of the recommended daily intake, but then there's two servings. 104% in one small bowl!

and yeah, bread is scary. then add some salty cold cuts and a salty condiment. mmmm, lunch with a beta blocker chaser.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #18
Master Chef

I read them for sodium, sugar, fat etc.

I make some of my choices based on the information and I limit the use of salt and sugar in my cooking.

Sometimes I chuck out all of the rules, eat like I did when I was growing up and the whole world was ignorant.

Ignorance is bliss!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Yes, as I take 13 pills a day to control what my body does or doesn't do, I feel like I would be working against my Doctor if I didn't check and compare labels on the foods I buy.

I'm diabetic Type II and have had 5 heart bypasses, along with several major heart attacks and one stroke. Those are something no one wants to go through, take my word for it. I lost some of my peripheral eyesight as a result of the stroke and the heart attacks and bypasses changed almost everything in my entire life, so resolving the issues that created the health problems was something I had to do to avoid a recurrence of them.

It's been 13 years since my heart bypasses and almost 35 since the stroke, so I'm doing good and will continue to monitor and restrict the types of additives I put into my body. It only makes good sense.

For those who know I'm 59, yes, I had the stroke when I was in my 20s and was only 46 when I had the heart attacks. I used to eat outrageously poorly and practically poured grease down my neck. I laughed at all the warnings about eating well and paid the price for that laughter. It was NOT a fair trade!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Executive Chef

On packaged foods, almost always. I'm also careful to avoid frequent high consumption of most cold cuts and many cheeses and do not eat nearly as many olives as I'd like. We make our own salad dressings to reduce sodium consumption and prefer homemade baked goods, fruit preserves and ice cream to reduce sugar intake.

Tags
food